Lifecolour Acrylics

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Lifecolour Acrylics

June 27th, 2012, 6:58 am #1

Does anyone use these paints?

I bought a set of their colours for Italian Vehicles Western desert WWII.

I find them very thin and watery. I need three coats of a light colour if it is overpainting a darker colour, and on 1/72 scale that often means a slight loss of detail, rivets etc.

June 27th, 2012, 8:38 am #2

Hi David
I use them all the time in fact they are now my default choice. I dont recognise the problems you are describing - I find they brush paint well but there are not many paints that will give you a solid coverage of a dark colour in one coat. I suggest airbrushing them - this will give you the coverage without the loss of detail.

regards David
AFV Modeller Magazine

June 27th, 2012, 11:44 am #3

I find them very thin and watery. I need three coats of a light colour if it is overpainting a darker colour, and on 1/72 scale that often means a slight loss of detail, rivets etc.
Never found them to be watery, and if anyting I am one of those people who puts their paint on somewhat thick. One thing... did you stir them thoroughly as opposed to just shaking the bottles or could you have overthinned them for spraying?
DAVID NICKELS

June 27th, 2012, 7:16 pm #4

Hi David
I use them all the time in fact they are now my default choice. I dont recognise the problems you are describing - I find they brush paint well but there are not many paints that will give you a solid coverage of a dark colour in one coat. I suggest airbrushing them - this will give you the coverage without the loss of detail.

regards David
AFV Modeller Magazine
How on earth do you manage to spray them David. I've really tried hard using all sorts of thinners and ratios. I've just got some of those modulation sets (although I hate colour modulation with a passion) and had another go on an old test model. Thinning with their own brand thinners about 20% I found I could get an opaque layer but I had to mist it on in many layers over matt base or it pooled; and it ended up very matt, so matt I worry that it will just soak up any gloss varnish.

Yours

Frustrated in Cranwell

aka Jamie

June 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm #5

Hi Jamie,

I find a 50/50 mix works fine either with Lifecolour thinner or just tap water. Its in and out of my airbrush continually and usually behaves impeccably. It is matt - I usually apply a satin varnish but I would rather that than other acrylics that refuse to dry matt when you need them to!
Maybe worth speaking to the guys at the Airbrush Company as they are the UK distributors and will no doubt be better informed than me and my hit and miss dilutions

regards David

June 27th, 2012, 11:23 pm #6

Never found them to be watery, and if anyting I am one of those people who puts their paint on somewhat thick. One thing... did you stir them thoroughly as opposed to just shaking the bottles or could you have overthinned them for spraying?
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have, unlike James Bond, both "shaken and stirred" the paints!
I hand paint. I've never used an air brush in my life.

(Mods. I'm still not getting any notifications!)

June 27th, 2012, 11:27 pm #7

From Mike Starmer's post on Life colour Caunter in the "Allied" section.

I quote ""My samples were thin and watery and did not cover well either but that was with brushing out. I thought the whole set a waste of money.""

June 28th, 2012, 4:30 am #8

Well, it might be just you and Mr Starmer then.

Like several of the others who have responded I would not class the paints as "thin and watery" and find them excellent for both hand-brushing and airbrushing. They are my preferred paint brand -- not least because their large jars make them very economical compared to other brands (at least here in Australia).

Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My modelling portfolio:http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... 22022.html

June 28th, 2012, 3:56 pm #9

Bruce.

If you don't like "Thin & watery", how else would you describe an acrylic paint that needs three or more coats? When Vallejo needs only one, or at the very most two.

I'm not whinging, I really want these paints to be good. Might I have a duff batch?

(Mods. I'm still not getting notifications!)

June 28th, 2012, 6:18 pm #10

And I don't recall thinning them much. I used a few drops of their own thinner. Like a lot of paints they do need to go over a primer or base coat. If you just spray it on bare plastic you might have problems.

This is one coat of Model Color OD sprayed over Poly Scale Earth. It was not so thin it ran under the tape mask either

[/IMG]

I find for hand painting that Vallejo paints can take a couple of coats but i thin those out a bit. Now I really dislike Model Air.
DAVID NICKELS