Life Color paints for Caunter - any views?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Life Color paints for Caunter - any views?

June 26th, 2012, 10:22 pm #1

Has anyone got particular views about the accuracy of Life Color paint colour for the Caunter Scheme. In particular, I note that mike Starmer illustrates the Silver grey as distinctly greenish, while the life Color paints do not:

https://airbrushes.com/advanced_search_ ... c_subcat=1

The other colours look OK (Portland stone, Slate).

Any advice?

Chria

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

June 27th, 2012, 12:49 am #2

Chris, I seem to recall that when these were first released, Mr. Starmer suggested the colors were not very accurate to what he has interpreted as the correct Caunter colors. Again, relying on my memory here, I think it was posted here on ML....

But I would not take the above as Gospel truth on the subject...

HTH,

Mike

June 27th, 2012, 12:29 pm #3

...as I re-read this, I want to clarify - I do not take MY memory as Gospel truth; I do take Mike Starmer's research as close as we can get to Gospel truth...

So when in doubt, I go with Mike Starmer's research on the correct Caunter colors.

Mike

June 27th, 2012, 8:00 pm #4

n/t

Chris Lloyd-Staples
Chris Lloyd-Staples

June 27th, 2012, 10:08 pm #5

Has anyone got particular views about the accuracy of Life Color paint colour for the Caunter Scheme. In particular, I note that mike Starmer illustrates the Silver grey as distinctly greenish, while the life Color paints do not:

Any advice?

Chria

Chris Lloyd-Staples
I compared this desert set against original BS.381 1930 colours where possible and against those in the 1964 edition and my very close matches in 1980. Most of them were not even near what they are claimed to be and the terminology was dodgy in some cases too. The Terra Cotta shade they provide is not right and there is no official documentation of it's use in M.E. anyway. My samples were thin and watery and did not cover well either but that was with brushing out. I thought the whole set a waste of money.

June 28th, 2012, 10:32 am #6

I have the new Tamiya Matilda and would like to paint it in the scheme in question but want to achieve an accurate colour.

Thanks,
David.

http://www.totalwarinscale.blogspot.com/

June 28th, 2012, 10:50 am #7

Any advice?

Chria

Chris Lloyd-Staples
Hi Chris

I really like them - they seem close enough to me to period colour photos of the vehicles - given the effects of the harsh climate and the possible distortion of colours in the photos. I have been using them on my Morris - I had to mix the light stone as I had run out but the other colours are from the pot. The mid grey could possibly be a bit darker? Thin and watery they are not and I am using them on a daily basis as my default brand. If they do not perform its usually something that I have done wrong like over-thinned.

regards David
AFV Modeller Magazine

June 28th, 2012, 12:38 pm #8

I have the new Tamiya Matilda and would like to paint it in the scheme in question but want to achieve an accurate colour.

Thanks,
David.

http://www.totalwarinscale.blogspot.com/
David, I am probably not the Mike you seek, but Mr. Starmer posted a series of British WWII camo color mixes, including Caunter scheme colors, for Tamiya acrylics here on ML. The search function should quickly yield results.

HTH,

Mike (the other one) Carroll.

June 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm #9

Hi Chris

I really like them - they seem close enough to me to period colour photos of the vehicles - given the effects of the harsh climate and the possible distortion of colours in the photos. I have been using them on my Morris - I had to mix the light stone as I had run out but the other colours are from the pot. The mid grey could possibly be a bit darker? Thin and watery they are not and I am using them on a daily basis as my default brand. If they do not perform its usually something that I have done wrong like over-thinned.

regards David
AFV Modeller Magazine

Hahaha

If you ask ten experts, you get ten expert answers - all different!

Love your model, absolutely looks great. I don't recognise it (probably should,,,). Who makes it?

As for the colour, I think maybe the paler Slate and the faded (to blue) Silver Grey would be OK on a sun-bleached vehicle. I'm sure I remember reading that Silver Grey is originally greenish, but fades badly.

I'm not looking forward to my first attempt at Caunter ;-(
I am doing a Valentine from 8RTR and the Valentine is a particularly difficult vehicle to mask off....too many lumps and bumps.

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
Chris Lloyd-Staples

June 28th, 2012, 7:36 pm #10

Hi Chris

regards David
AFV Modeller Magazine

But Light Stone is yellow not cream even faded, veterans recall this as 'desert yellow' or beige. Silver Grey is pale green.