Last to Leave - Eastern Front 1944

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Last to Leave - Eastern Front 1944

May 23rd, 2008, 11:58 am #1

Hi there

Please view 99% completed diorama depending on comments to improve, it took 6 months part time evening work to complete.

I wanted to depict a battered rearguard section somewhere on the Eastern front during the endless retreat home. Unnamed unit in various winter uniforms, figures mostly Dragon - 22 figures in total. Tamiya Mk4 H and Stug III painted in enamels and weathered with acrylics using the now famous "hairspray" method. Oil paints diluted with turpentine and pigments were used to finish off.

Most photos taken outside with natural vegetation as a backdrop (some not too realistic)

For more photos visit:
http://militarymodels.fotopic.net/c1452488.html

http://militarymodels.fotopic.net/

Thanks for any comments

Regards
Mike

May 27th, 2008, 12:25 pm #2

Apologies photosite back on line now

June 1st, 2008, 7:33 am #3

I really like what you did with all those figures. Gives a good impression of the winter thaw on the Eastern Front. How did you achieve the fading on the Stug and Pz.Kpfw. IV schurzen (from white to dunkelgelb)?

Very nice T34 ALSO. Maybee, you should post this on th CC forum?

Best Regards,
Mark

June 6th, 2008, 10:40 am #4

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comments

I painted the vehicles in dark yellow enamels first (Humberol 93 & white) allowed to dry for 24 hrs and then sprayed hairspray over the entire surface.

For the Stug I then brushed on white acrylic in a random stippled pattern and after drying I then used a course hard brush dipped in alcohol to partially remove some of the white and fade the paint.

For the MkIV I lightly airbrushed the white acrylic on and then followed the same method as above

Both vehicles were then dirtied up with oils and pigments

Regards
Mike