"Last man to leave turns off the lights"

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

"Last man to leave turns off the lights"

July 7th, 2012, 11:15 pm #1

This diorama was based on our "Italian Street Scene" kit but I just wanted to see how easy it would be to use this same structure to represent a scene anywhere in Europe w/ a few small detail changes.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I always liked this kit because the base is cast on an incline, which sort of breaks it up a bit. THe kit is available here;

http://www.dioramasplus.com/site/?p=389

Special offer for forum members. I'll include a set of our brick sidewalks (a $25 value) and a sample of our laser cut shattered glass w/the next five of these I sell. Cheers!

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus
www.dioramasplus.com

August 20th, 2012, 6:21 pm #2

Hi Randy,

I like the look of your products and I think they would offer a great time saving to someone wanting a good backdrop to their model or a basis for an involved diorama.

I checked out your website and I liked the layouts you have on offer but as an engineer one thing did really stand out to me with the representation of brickwork - as far as i can see the brick walls in your products are represented in a way that none of the walls look bonded.

What I mean is in traditional walls (ie not cavity walls - which yours arent (based on the damaged portions not displaying a cavity) they are generally 2 bricks deep (which yours are) but to maintain strength the front "slab" of bricks must be tied to the rear one with header bricks (bricks placed perpendicular [header bricks] to the standard ones [stretcher bricks]).

Many bonds exist which create a type of pattern as well as maintaining the strength of the construction, try looking up the common ones - Scottish, English and Flemish bonds to name but a few.

I know this may seem like nitpicking, but in doing what I do it jumps out to me as a bit of a flaw in your design I guess in a similar way to someone putting an M4A2 engine deck on a Jumbo Sherman would to some folks.

As I said I do think your products have great potential - the walls are nice and thick (which many modellers seem to forget when constructing dioramas!) but I thought I'd offer some contructive critisicm maybe for your future designs.

John