LAH StuG in Normandy

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

LAH StuG in Normandy

May 10th, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

Hello!
I have in my hands the following items:
- Dragon Stug III G early 6320
- Friul tracks ATL-04
- Voyager Models PE 35121
- Aber antennas 2m
- Aber StuK 40 L/48
Please, could anyone tell me what I need more to model a vehicle from LAH during the Normandy campaign?
Thank you in advance,
Fabrício Menardi

May 10th, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

Hi Fabricio

Your present list restricts you to 2 things: An early MIAG (or very early Alkett) vehicle, and one without zimmerit. This is certainly indicative of some of the older (early 43 model) StuGs in Normandy.

But if you wanted to be more representative of mid-44 usage by LAH, you might consider a later model, at least one with interlocked hull details, 80mm hull front and schurzen, and almost certainly zimmerit. So you could update the 6320 kit with various details from the 'old' DML StuGs such as 9058 (still very good for detailing), or correct/crosskit with a Tamiya StuG for a Normandy Alkett vehicle (another good way as the Tam kit is still pretty good if a bit of a muddle timewise). And you'll need some schurzen plates, Atak zimmerit (or DIY - Alkett or MIAG type) dependent on your choice of build.

Or buy a DML 6581 (Dec 43 build) or even the Cyberhobby 6412 (May 44 build) kits if you can find one. In that case the zimmerit is a must.

So yes, not such an easy one I'm afraid!

Ron

May 10th, 2012, 5:00 pm #3

Hi there, Ron.
Thank you for the very helpful informations.
I think I will model the 6320 as a vehicle in Kursk and get the 6412 for the Normandy project.
All the best,
Fabrício
Last edited by menardi on May 10th, 2012, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

Fabricio

6412 is certainly the one, I have one but they are pretty rare now (none on ebay today). If not, I also have 6581 which is also excellent, but the reviews confirm that it falls somewhat between an Alkett and MIAG vehicle. Basically it has the topfblende, interlocked hull and fenders of a mid-production Alkett (and 6412) but the return rollers and drive sprocket centres of a MIAG. It's easy to alter though, particularly if you have a 6320 to crosskit with, which could help both vehicles into the 'Normandy' bracket as MIAG StuGs had the earlier non-interlocked hull later than Alkett. Another option would be the 'Black Knight' StuG, which has the same fenders and topfblende as both the others and is in greater supply than 6412. Any of these 3 would be perfect for Normandy imo.

Good hunting
Ron

May 11th, 2012, 2:16 pm #5

Ron,
Thank you again. Without your help, I wouldn't know what I have to do.
Regards,
Fabrício