Kursk Panther D (escape from the shelf of shame...)

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Kursk Panther D (escape from the shelf of shame...)

September 26th, 2011, 2:14 am #1

I took an old DML Panther D off the shelf of shame the other day to have my annual look, and one thing led to another...

I'm going to stick with some of the work and aftermarket I originally used, but the weld beads I'd originally re-done needed to go. The barrel is Elefant; not the greatest but I kind of have to go with it now. The kit tool stowage disappeared, and the Aber set I was using is for a post-April '43 vehicle (i.e., with the re-oriented axe stowage) so I'm re-doing it with strip styrene. I got around to re-building the driver's hatch stop/lock and will keep it as I like the way it turned out.

The re-re-done weld beads. For some reason I thought that doing these myself would be better than what comes with the kit, but it turns out I was deluded. Cue the sad trombone:http://www.sadtrombone.com I chipped the old ones off and re-did them with Tamiya "smooth" two-part epoxy. I'm happy with the results now, although I can see they still need a little cleaning up here. There's also some rolled plate texture done with Tamiya grey putty, but as it's not really evident in any of these photos I'll skip explaining how this was done.

The engine deck, source of quite a few moments of confusion on my part. My original references when I strted with this were Jentz & Doyle's Germany's Panther Tank - now that's dating this build - and the Frontline Illustration volume of Panthers at Kursk. Problem is, the last Panther deliveries to both Pz.Abt. 51 and 52 were in May 1943 and some vehicles clearly show details which were supposed to have been implemented in June. With Panzer Tracts 5-1 in hand, I'm now just sticking to what ought to be on an April '43 build and leaving it at that.

Anyway, the vent covers are MIG Productions, and the PE is a mix of Aber and Lion Roar - as I said before, I'm sticking with some of what I've already used and done. Some backdating was necessary, in the form of removing the rain guards from the bases of the engine vent caps and the fuel filler cap. The early 'prong' style of handles were added to the vent caps as well.

Still to come is figuring out where and how I managed to go wrong with the pistol and communications ports, and having another go at the smoke dischargers (among other things) I've also been vascillating between whether to do Pz.Abt. 51 or 52 at Kursk (likely 5 Kp./52) or SS-Pz.Regt. 11 'Hermann von Salza' at Narva, but I've acquired a couple of Premium Edition Panther Ds since I started this and can always do the one I don't choose later. Or Barkmann's '401'.

If you've got any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

DG

September 26th, 2011, 10:08 am #2

Hi Darren
Its coming along nicely so far. I like the fact that you have emphasised the dovetailed armour interlock on the turret, this detail seems to be overlooked on quite a lot of Ausf D models. You might want to reduce the size of the bolts on the engine deck screens as these look to be on the large side. Other than that minor point it looks great.
Regards
Roddy

September 26th, 2011, 11:46 am #3

I took an old DML Panther D off the shelf of shame the other day to have my annual look, and one thing led to another...

I'm going to stick with some of the work and aftermarket I originally used, but the weld beads I'd originally re-done needed to go. The barrel is Elefant; not the greatest but I kind of have to go with it now. The kit tool stowage disappeared, and the Aber set I was using is for a post-April '43 vehicle (i.e., with the re-oriented axe stowage) so I'm re-doing it with strip styrene. I got around to re-building the driver's hatch stop/lock and will keep it as I like the way it turned out.

The re-re-done weld beads. For some reason I thought that doing these myself would be better than what comes with the kit, but it turns out I was deluded. Cue the sad trombone:http://www.sadtrombone.com I chipped the old ones off and re-did them with Tamiya "smooth" two-part epoxy. I'm happy with the results now, although I can see they still need a little cleaning up here. There's also some rolled plate texture done with Tamiya grey putty, but as it's not really evident in any of these photos I'll skip explaining how this was done.

The engine deck, source of quite a few moments of confusion on my part. My original references when I strted with this were Jentz & Doyle's Germany's Panther Tank - now that's dating this build - and the Frontline Illustration volume of Panthers at Kursk. Problem is, the last Panther deliveries to both Pz.Abt. 51 and 52 were in May 1943 and some vehicles clearly show details which were supposed to have been implemented in June. With Panzer Tracts 5-1 in hand, I'm now just sticking to what ought to be on an April '43 build and leaving it at that.

Anyway, the vent covers are MIG Productions, and the PE is a mix of Aber and Lion Roar - as I said before, I'm sticking with some of what I've already used and done. Some backdating was necessary, in the form of removing the rain guards from the bases of the engine vent caps and the fuel filler cap. The early 'prong' style of handles were added to the vent caps as well.

Still to come is figuring out where and how I managed to go wrong with the pistol and communications ports, and having another go at the smoke dischargers (among other things) I've also been vascillating between whether to do Pz.Abt. 51 or 52 at Kursk (likely 5 Kp./52) or SS-Pz.Regt. 11 'Hermann von Salza' at Narva, but I've acquired a couple of Premium Edition Panther Ds since I started this and can always do the one I don't choose later. Or Barkmann's '401'.

DG
Hi Darren. The extra little details really draw in the viewer .... beautiful welds on the armor joints!!

Frank Glackin
IPMS Stockholm

September 26th, 2011, 11:51 am #4

DG
Hi Darren,
Great work. I like this honest, old school trial-and-error modeling. I've never been a "clean" modeler and respect your project to "get it right" rather than worry about the appearance of the work done to get there. In the end you'll have a unique Panther with lots of character. Good for you getting back into this one. Sometimes re-starting an old kit is like looking back years in your diary.
Manus

September 26th, 2011, 4:11 pm #5

DG
...as I have something similar planned for the future, although my project will be a bit of a What if-project.
Looking forward to see your further progress!

Cheers,
Anders

September 27th, 2011, 6:22 am #6

DG

September 28th, 2011, 8:55 pm #7

DG
I have this on a to do list, very tempted to start it since the Canfora Panther book but will probably go with an Ardennes G.

Look forward to seeing more of this.

Cheers,
Paul

September 29th, 2011, 12:14 am #8

DG
Thanks for your feedback and encouragement - Anders, I did get your e-mail (long time no hear!) and the MIG Prod. covers are the earliest pattern for the V-series which, slightly modified, were used for series production until they were used up (they're evident on the Panther D at Breda:http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/daan_u ... er_ausf_d/). The ones in the Premium Edition kit (which are the type used into Panther A production and even later with the Jagdpanther) are accurate for a vehicle produced as early as May 1943, although the kind with the "spokes" radiating out at an angle instead of straight out to the edge seem to be the only kind I've seen.

Cheers,

DG

Last edited by Darren Gawle on September 29th, 2011, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 29th, 2011, 4:12 pm #9

As I would like to model one of the earliest Ds it looks like the Mig Prod. covers are the ones I should use for my Premium Edition D.
From what I can see the base of the cover is the difference between the Mig and DML items, but I am going from memory here so I need to have another look at my kit.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Anders
Last edited by Anders Isaksson on September 29th, 2011, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.