Kubelwagen

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Kubelwagen

July 12th, 2012, 12:27 am #1

Good morning Guys,

I am wanting to change a 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen Africa Corp version over to the European front version, I'm thinking about 1941-2 France Luftwaffe, I am thinking of putting Hussars Schwimmwagen wheels on it.

Has anyone any idea's what needs to be changed to get it Europeanised?????

Any thoughts, idea's or suggestions

TIA

P

July 13th, 2012, 7:30 pm #2

Hi,

Not a great deal different, if it was a standard production VW 82, it would have been manufactured as a Dunkelgrau vehicle with the standard 16" rims and tyres, then probably got painted yellow when in Afrika, so for this one a repaint into Dunkelgrau required.

If it was one of a limited prodution batch already yellow and fitted with sand tyres and rims as it left the factory, then retrofit the standard 16" rims and repaint dunkelgrau.

But why the Schwimwagen types on Kubel ?, it is occasionally seen,late war from my viewing, but is regarded as more of an emergency fitting and not production fitting. maybe somebody knows more ?

But also remember that the first ever VW 166 Schwimwagens did not appear until the last quarter of 1942 and full production did nor really get under way until early 1943, so does not really match your dates.

Do you have a photo of one you are planning to copy ?

cheers leonard paul
Last edited by spannermann on July 13th, 2012, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 14th, 2012, 3:10 am #3

Thanks for your response Leonard, I was looking at the schwimmwagen tyre/wheels primarally as a more agressive tyre pattern as I was planning to show it in a field picking up a pilot who had crash landed after a sortie over the channel.

This scenario doesn't have to be exactly, I guess another version could be two or three pilots on a night out.

Thanks again

P