Kits you never see finished?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Kits you never see finished?

mld

May 9th, 2012, 12:54 pm #1

Wandering through the stash of shame, down the aisle of unfinished 'must have' kits, on my to check the shelf life testing results on the newest releases, I got to wondering about kits that you never seem to see finished either online or at shows.

Up here in the NE US there are a lot of Tigers Panthers Shermans and Abrams on the tables.
You see a lot of KV's and T34 versions. Jeeps and Deuce and a halfs, Kugelwagons and the Strykers (slat or no) show up in a lot of posts and on the show tables. Pak 40's abound.

But at the shows I have attneded, I rarely see any 251's or Sdkfz 250's or variants of either. Hardly any of the 234 series either. Even with all the newer releases, I seldom see much modern Russian armor.

There were several BTR pics and dios from AMPS pictured, but I almost never see any on the tables.

I wonder if this is this due to the disparity between release schedules and build time. New kits are coming out all the time, but it takes a good couple of months to build up and finish a decent entry.

How about you?
What subjects are there that are somewhat well represented in kit form that seldom show up on show tables or online builds?
Last edited by mld on May 9th, 2012, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 1:49 pm #2

I just got through a run of several US M3 half-track derivatives. I can tell you that any single one of them required much more work than a tank subject. The reason is that half-tracks or your Sdkfz 234s with open tops requires practically every single surface to be built and detailed and painted -- unlike the "shell" you'd have to detail and build for say, the Tamiya Hetzer or a Tasca M4A3 tank.

At least this is my theory. For a recovery from my half-tracks, I'm plodding through the Tamiya Matilda -- nice and relatively care-free!

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

mld

May 9th, 2012, 3:47 pm #3

The open topped thought makes sense, I have few finished and many started myself.

But what about Hetzers and Jadgtigers?
Lots of kits out there these days, but fewer on the tables than Jadgpanthers by a long shot.

For all the hurrah when the Centurions and Churchills were released, I have not seen many built up.

May 9th, 2012, 4:54 pm #4

I think in the last three years I have seen only 6 M113s at the shows I have gone to and two of those six were mine.

May 9th, 2012, 5:50 pm #5

Wandering through the stash of shame, down the aisle of unfinished 'must have' kits, on my to check the shelf life testing results on the newest releases, I got to wondering about kits that you never seem to see finished either online or at shows.

Up here in the NE US there are a lot of Tigers Panthers Shermans and Abrams on the tables.
You see a lot of KV's and T34 versions. Jeeps and Deuce and a halfs, Kugelwagons and the Strykers (slat or no) show up in a lot of posts and on the show tables. Pak 40's abound.

But at the shows I have attneded, I rarely see any 251's or Sdkfz 250's or variants of either. Hardly any of the 234 series either. Even with all the newer releases, I seldom see much modern Russian armor.

There were several BTR pics and dios from AMPS pictured, but I almost never see any on the tables.

I wonder if this is this due to the disparity between release schedules and build time. New kits are coming out all the time, but it takes a good couple of months to build up and finish a decent entry.

How about you?
What subjects are there that are somewhat well represented in kit form that seldom show up on show tables or online builds?
One kit that I have never seen completed in person is the Tamiya B1 bis. I have seen them featured online but I have never seen one at a show, sitting in a hobby shop display case or even at any fellow modellers home. The kit was badly needed, highly anticipated and was met with great enthusiasm upon its release. For some reason, I myself have never happened upon a finished one except online. I, however, am part of the problem and not part of the solution; mine is still sitting under many other kits on my shelf of shame... excuse me, that would be my "shelves" of shame.
Andrew.

remove all x from email

May 9th, 2012, 9:18 pm #6

How about you?
I think it all depends on the quality of the kit. Many resin kits are never seen, some plastic kits with build or accuracy issues are very rare. As for me BMP1s',M35s',M18s'and almost the whole Patton line are pretty scarce. Of course if you go to the AMPS international contest you stand a good chance of seeing just about everything.

mld

May 9th, 2012, 10:43 pm #7

I think in the last three years I have seen only 6 M113s at the shows I have gone to and two of those six were mine.
I've got 4-5 done, but at least as many on the go.
Mike

May 10th, 2012, 1:10 am #8

One kit that I have never seen completed in person is the Tamiya B1 bis. I have seen them featured online but I have never seen one at a show, sitting in a hobby shop display case or even at any fellow modellers home. The kit was badly needed, highly anticipated and was met with great enthusiasm upon its release. For some reason, I myself have never happened upon a finished one except online. I, however, am part of the problem and not part of the solution; mine is still sitting under many other kits on my shelf of shame... excuse me, that would be my "shelves" of shame.
Andrew.

remove all x from email
There seems to be some regional variations to this

I always see at least one Char B at shows, sometimes several, either in the competition or on the club stands.

In the competition in recent years though I've seen a lot less Tigers and Panthers. They are still there definitely, but not in the numbers they used to be. British armour and especially modern armour (of all nations) seems to be making a big comeback in Europe

As for kits I've not seen: I have yet to see more than one Neubaufahrzeug at a show, and I have never seen a single Panzerfahre at a show. Seems people here buy the oddities but seldom build them

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

May 10th, 2012, 1:32 am #9

I think in regards to the 113, it is so well documented photographically and many of the kit errors are easy to identify that many modelers just don't bother with it. Build it OOB and you just stare at the bevvy of errors. Start to fix them and it becomes such a chore that you don't know where to end.

It's also the submarine of armor kits. Just a big square with detail pieces stuck on. Attempting to detail the interior and you end up with the same chore above.

And we've all basically built the kit before. It's probably one of the first modern Tamiya kits we've built. No sense revisiting it until they make a new tool one.

RobG
RobG

May 10th, 2012, 8:20 am #10

How about you?
Hi Mike,
This is an interesting thread for me, more like the ML of old. From my recent experience, Italian tanks seem not to feature often on competition tables, or Japanese for that matter - but both are appealing subjects. No idea why, there are some nice kits on sale for both subject areas. Always good to see variety of models on show and as much as Panthers, Tigers and Shermans are iconic, to present one that is truly eye-catching these days it needs something 'extra special' to stand out. Just my thoughts.
Marcus
TMMI