Kit prices...man they are dear!!

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Kit prices...man they are dear!!

April 12th, 2012, 1:37 am #1

I just bought a Dragon Sherman......cost $99.00......is it just me or is our hobby getting expensive?
Shane
Last edited by ShaneGowan on April 12th, 2012, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 5:35 am #2

The plastic kit manufacturers have been long aware that there are more than a few modelers who don't mind getting hosed because they just have to have a particular kit. Remember the old Aurora Monster kits? When I was a kid, those kits sold for 99 cents. Now, a certain company, using the same molds, is selling them for $39.99. Some of those kits were crap at 99 cents; they're still crap at $40.

I'm beginning to question the sanity of anyone who thinks 99 bucks for a model is a great deal. Or, buying a $40 kit and another $150-200 in aftermarket accessories to improve said kit.

Don't get yer shorts bunched up, kids. Just my two cents on the subject.

April 12th, 2012, 11:42 am #3

Recently I fulfilled a dream! Finally found a reasonably priced Aurora Churchill, it cost me $30. In its 1968 square bos. Anyway the original price was on the cellophane wrapping $1.49! I was chasing a fond memory with Dad.
Currently I only buy big. When you take a step back and look at the cost of 1/35 kits and pimping it up with multi-media. Hmmm! Bigger is better and cost effective.

Stephen J. Pringle

April 12th, 2012, 1:25 pm #4

I just bought a Dragon Sherman......cost $99.00......is it just me or is our hobby getting expensive?
Shane
Which one did you buy? I know Dragon put out MSRP prices on previous release Shermans in the past and they where in the $50 dollar range.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

April 12th, 2012, 1:35 pm #5

The plastic kit manufacturers have been long aware that there are more than a few modelers who don't mind getting hosed because they just have to have a particular kit. Remember the old Aurora Monster kits? When I was a kid, those kits sold for 99 cents. Now, a certain company, using the same molds, is selling them for $39.99. Some of those kits were crap at 99 cents; they're still crap at $40.

I'm beginning to question the sanity of anyone who thinks 99 bucks for a model is a great deal. Or, buying a $40 kit and another $150-200 in aftermarket accessories to improve said kit.

Don't get yer shorts bunched up, kids. Just my two cents on the subject.
with the optional glow in the dark parts like heads, hands and critters. I grew up on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dr. Jeckell, Mummy, Frank, the Count & the Phantom.

When they were reissued, I was very tempted to buy them, but the price today is outrageous. Only the ones that Toys R Us used to sell in the 3-pack (Wolfman, Dracula and Frankenstein?) were reasonably priced.

RobG
RobG

April 12th, 2012, 2:18 pm #6

Which one did you buy? I know Dragon put out MSRP prices on previous release Shermans in the past and they where in the $50 dollar range.

nt
DAVID NICKELS

April 12th, 2012, 3:43 pm #7

Shane
"I was settin' with my Pa at the kitchen table,
Back in the fall of '68,
Gluein' t'gether a plastic model tank,

Good times, man, it was great.

Spendin' time with Dad, that's living history,
Only cost a dollar ninety-eight,
Good times, man, it was great,

I saved up all that summer,
Mowin' lawns and cuttin' bait,
To buy a model of the tank that my Dad drove,

He'd help me fit the parts together,
Make sure that the tracks were straight,
And I learned how to work together,

He was my hero, a veteran of Normandy,
He'd tell stories and let me stay up late,
A little glue, a little paint,

Dad's long gone now, but he lived a fuller life,
Than many men, I can tell you straight,
I wish I had that model to remind me,

High school came, football, cars,
And taking pretty girls out on a date,
Somehow I lost that plastic memory, 'cause I was lookin' for,

Thirty years on now, I'm cruisin' the internet,
I don't know if it was fate,
But there's a brand-new model of that tank,

They brought the kit back, same box & everything, like I remember way back when,
But it ain't a dollar-ninety-eight,
It's a 50 dollar collector kit,

Good times, man, it was great.

April 12th, 2012, 3:53 pm #8

Shane
I ain't been active in the last 5 years, aint bought a kit for a while, but last time I did, I paid around £35, I checked last night and a new released DML kit was £62-65.
I found an old invoice from 2004, a DML Panther Ausf A was £23.99.

So in less then 10 years...

Now imagine if you was a kid again, and had a choice between a plastic kit at £60+, or the latest BF or CoD game at £40, what would you choose?

And prices never go down, just up ...

Jon
Last edited by JonGreenwood on April 12th, 2012, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 5:58 pm #9

Shane
(The "." shows that I don't want to talk about my stash.)

April 12th, 2012, 8:14 pm #10

nt
As of five minutes ago, even if it was $99 AUD, it's equal to $103.32 USD. Either way, it still sucks. It continues to suck if Shane paid $99 NZD because that equals to $81.89 USD. What do you (generally speaking) think the costs for the molds, etc., are in China? These costs are paid for after the first 8-10,000 kits. There is a large enough market for these kits, looking at all the online shops, LHS's and other outlets advertising; so, it's not like Dragon, UML or whatever doesn't make a profit. It's the free market at work, and, they're taking advantage of it. Nothing wrong with that; except, the prices suck.
Last edited by Joe Zrodlowski on April 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.