Ken Overby: Where's Our Parts?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Ken Overby: Where's Our Parts?

May 22nd, 2012, 4:34 pm #1

Hey guys, I'm Ryan Peterson and I'm a member of Onesixthwarriors (OSW), a 1:6 collecting website. We, too, are familiar with Kenneth Overby - known to us as Ninja-Viking.
On OSW, Ken was known as the best recaster and creator of resin parts that we had. He had a fairly substantial business selling his casts and taking commissions to make new parts. In November 2011, Ken disappeared and with him he took $200 worth of parts and $100 in cash as the advance payment on a large commission. It wasn't the first time and we knew he had financial difficulty, so we thought that he was having money problems again. We made several attempts to contact him a few members even offered to loan him cash if that was the issue (thank you, MediumMack and co.)
We never heard back from him.
By the time Spring rolled around, we began to wonder if he'd died or we'd been scammed. A Facebook search revealed that he was actively using Facebook. We tried to reach him there to ask about how he was doing or if he'd be able to return the parts, no dice. He had time to berate Hulu about not offering more anime, but not to respond to our questions. Our staff had seen enough to realize that he'd scammed us and banned him from OSW.
This is my warning to you, Missing-Lynx - do not trust Ken Overby with your money. Who knows when he'll decide to pull his little disappearing act again?
Ken - you can make this right if you want to - return the parts you took (especially that Humvee) and apologize for what you did.

For some insight into how we feel about Ken Overby, please read our reactions when we learned he was re-opening his Motor Pool Facebhttp://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/s ... xtrot.html

Thank you for your time and consideration.

TO CLARIFY: I have also tried calling him via his personal cellphone, I wrote him a letter, I messaged him on Facebook.
My friends have also tried calling him and e-mailing him.
When we posted messages on Cpl Overby's Motor Pool asking for our gear back, he deleted the messages.
We tried all means of reaching him for several months :/

ALSO: If Ken returns - at the very least - the parts he took, I think that would appease the people he took from. I can't speak for Matt - the guy who lost out on $100 and a Humvee - but I think that getting the Humvee back would be enough to make him settle.

ANOTHER EDIT: The missing parts:
hqpham - SS AN/VIS-9 NOD mount, NOD goggles and battery from the 75th Ranger figure
major.rod - Battery box from the SS SOAR HGU56 helmet
nicomapark17 - $100 and a Hummer
germansoldiermp40 - Two (DML? Remind me to ask the guy) SR-25's
trnswrp10 - Aliens Pulse Rifle
Last edited by Ryan_Peterson on May 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 5:03 pm #2

I have ordered before and I will order again - no problem.

I'm sure this can get fixed.

May 22nd, 2012, 5:06 pm #3

We had no problems with him until this incident. I myself bought a gas can from him, an XM-148 grenade launcher, a PRC-25, and I sent him dozens of parts to add to his inventory. In exchange for that last service, he'd send me free casts of the parts I gave him.
The problem is that is good as he WAS, he took the money and ran. He stole.

May 22nd, 2012, 5:20 pm #4

Hey guys, I'm Ryan Peterson and I'm a member of Onesixthwarriors (OSW), a 1:6 collecting website. We, too, are familiar with Kenneth Overby - known to us as Ninja-Viking.
On OSW, Ken was known as the best recaster and creator of resin parts that we had. He had a fairly substantial business selling his casts and taking commissions to make new parts. In November 2011, Ken disappeared and with him he took $200 worth of parts and $100 in cash as the advance payment on a large commission. It wasn't the first time and we knew he had financial difficulty, so we thought that he was having money problems again. We made several attempts to contact him a few members even offered to loan him cash if that was the issue (thank you, MediumMack and co.)
By the time Spring rolled around, we began to wonder if he'd died or we'd been scammed. A Facebook search revealed that he was actively using Facebook. We tried to reach him there to ask about how he was doing or if he'd be able to return the parts, no dice. He had time to berate Hulu about not offering more anime, but not to respond to our questions. Our staff had seen enough to realize that he'd scammed us and banned him from OSW.
This is my warning to you, Missing-Lynx - do not trust Ken Overby with your money. Who knows when he'll decide to pull his little disappearing act again?
Ken - you can make this right if you want to - return the parts you took (especially that Humvee) and apologize for what you did.

For some insight into how we feel about Ken Overby, please read our reactions when we learned he was re-opening his Motor Pool Facebhttp://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/s ... xtrot.html

TO CLARIFY: I have also tried calling him via his personal cellphone, I wrote him a letter, I messaged him on Facebook.
When we posted messages on Cpl Overby's Motor Pool asking for our gear back, he deleted the messages.

ALSO: If Ken returns - at the very least - the parts he took, I think that would appease the people he took from. I can't speak for Matt - the guy who lost out on $100 and a Humvee - but I think that getting the Humvee back would be enough to make him settle.

hqpham - SS AN/VIS-9 NOD mount, NOD goggles and battery from the 75th Ranger figure
Did you need to post this here? Was that the only option for you? Have you contacted him directly?

Why not contact the authorities instead of this! This seems totally out of line to me!

/Steen

Keep updated on new announcements and releases from the small scale manufacturers at http://inscalemodelling.com

May 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm #5

"Have you contacted him directly? "

I'd say the answer to that was yes(?)

May 22nd, 2012, 5:37 pm #6

I'm going to leave this post here, at least for now.

So is it the truth? I have no idea, it might be or it might not be. It may even be somewhere in between. Remember all the fuss over Cromwell Models complaints being removed? Well in the interests of fairness, I think if there is a potential issue that will be of interest to those who visit here, then we should leave it - as was done with Cromwell. Given that the post has now been read, I also think it fair for Ken to give his side of the story (if he wishes to).

Again, I'm not taking any sides whatsoever here. Readers are free to make up there own minds based on the above posts, the link to the other forum and their own dealings with Ken.

Thank you and please keep this civil.

Alex

May 22nd, 2012, 5:41 pm #7

"Have you contacted him directly? "

I'd say the answer to that was yes(?)
I also read that, but there are lots of reason why an e-mail would never reach the recipient, so before going this route... Well, to me this seems like the wrong place or very wrong way of handling this!

/Steen

Keep updated on new announcements and releases from the small scale manufacturers at http://inscalemodelling.com

May 22nd, 2012, 5:45 pm #8

I know Ken personally; I've had him over to my house, I've spent time with him at various model shows and contests. This doesn't sound like what he would do. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I would like to think that if this happened as you described; then Ken would eventually make up this shortfall once he got back on his feet. Starting up again is a good sign that he would eventually be in a position to repay anything may have received in the past. Shutting him down just kills the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I stand by Ken and will vouch for his character. He has always been a good friend to me, and I've never had a problem getting any product from him.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

May 22nd, 2012, 5:47 pm #9

I also read that, but there are lots of reason why an e-mail would never reach the recipient, so before going this route... Well, to me this seems like the wrong place or very wrong way of handling this!

/Steen

I have also tried calling him via his personal cellphone, I wrote him a letter, I messaged him on Facebook.

May 22nd, 2012, 5:48 pm #10

I know Ken personally; I've had him over to my house, I've spent time with him at various model shows and contests. This doesn't sound like what he would do. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I would like to think that if this happened as you described; then Ken would eventually make up this shortfall once he got back on his feet. Starting up again is a good sign that he would eventually be in a position to repay anything may have received in the past. Shutting him down just kills the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I stand by Ken and will vouch for his character. He has always been a good friend to me, and I've never had a problem getting any product from him.
Well, if he can at least return the parts (I don't know about the cash, I'll ask the guy who paid, but if he gets the Humvee back at least, he'd probably settle for that) and offers an apology, we'd probably drop the matter.
I say probably because I can't speak for everyone, but I'd argue for the matter to be dropped if the parts were returned.

EDIT: I didn't say this the first time, but thank you. Ken WAS a good friend when I talked with him and I enjoyed working with him when he was into 1:6. This whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and I just want to either set things right or make sure he doesn't do this to someone else. If there's any chance of getting the parts back, I'll back off of this and I'll ask my friends who got gypped to do the same.
Last edited by Ryan_Peterson on May 22nd, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.