Karrier KT4 Spider with 25 Pdr

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Karrier KT4 Spider with 25 Pdr

April 20th, 2013, 12:20 pm #1

As my last posting featured the Dorchester in Caunter scheme, I though I would stay with the theme and show you a vignette comprising a Karrier KT4 Spider with Milicast 25 Pounder and Limber and an AB Figures crew. The Karrier KT4 is a resin/white metal wargames kit made available through the Society of Gentlemen Wargamers Forum. Some 520 of the KT4's were built for the Indian Army. It needed some work to bring it to this level but was a fun and interesting little project. It is depicted here with a 25 pd field gun of the 25th Field Regt - 4th Indian Division in North Africa during Operation Crusader in 1941.
Vehicle markings were from Peter Marshall, Aleran and the spares box and the inspiration came from friends on the Society of Gentlemen Wargamers site and specifically a photo of this particular "Spider" kindly provided by Mike Starmer.

Cheers,

Neil

April 20th, 2013, 1:55 pm #2

Neil,
Very nice job. I'm not a big fan of white metal kits (or pieces of kits) but with your beautiful paint job on both the vehicles and figures that small scene is real impressive.

Brian
Don't be a Big Scale Bigot, go Braille Scale all the way.
Brian

April 20th, 2013, 5:05 pm #3

As my last posting featured the Dorchester in Caunter scheme, I though I would stay with the theme and show you a vignette comprising a Karrier KT4 Spider with Milicast 25 Pounder and Limber and an AB Figures crew. The Karrier KT4 is a resin/white metal wargames kit made available through the Society of Gentlemen Wargamers Forum. Some 520 of the KT4's were built for the Indian Army. It needed some work to bring it to this level but was a fun and interesting little project. It is depicted here with a 25 pd field gun of the 25th Field Regt - 4th Indian Division in North Africa during Operation Crusader in 1941.
Vehicle markings were from Peter Marshall, Aleran and the spares box and the inspiration came from friends on the Society of Gentlemen Wargamers site and specifically a photo of this particular "Spider" kindly provided by Mike Starmer.

Cheers,

Neil

I wish my stuff would look half as great as yours.

April 20th, 2013, 5:07 pm #4

Cheers,

Neil

Another beautiful vehicle and neat dio, Neil. A great desert scene with everything nicely integrated. Your vehicles have been quite a treat. I marvel that whatever shape the host kit you bring them up to a consistently high level. Please keep 'em coming! Thanks for sharing.

fredman out -
- fredman out

April 20th, 2013, 7:28 pm #5

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks Brian, Dave and Fred for your kind comments. I do enjoy working with the different mediums to get the results I want. That to me is the fun of it and as a lot of what I want to model is quite often available only in lower end mixed medium kits, that is what I'm drawn to at present. Converting and scratch-building is what I seem to enjpoy the most. That is not to say that I'm not interested in or inspired by higher end resin and plastic kits as I have a number of them in my collection also.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Neil

April 20th, 2013, 7:44 pm #6

Cheers,

Neil

another quirky Commonwealth classic. great stuff!!

April 20th, 2013, 7:47 pm #7

Cheers,

Neil

in the nose!! Neat looking vehicle and a very nice little dio. Gotta love kits of different vehicles.

Could the Airfix Quad be converted? they look close from the windshield back

Keep them coming
Mike
Mike Durand
Windsor On
Canada

April 20th, 2013, 11:20 pm #8

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks Paul and Mike...it was an ungainly beast but did have a certain rugged charm. To build it from the Airfix quad would have been possible but the wheelbase was longer on the Spider by about 11 inches so although that could be rectified fairly easily the bodies were quite different in height and overall shape and would really require scratch-building. I would have resorted to that eventually if the wargame version hadn't appeared. This wargames one did have a complete interior which was good but was a little long in the wheelbase and short on the overhang behind the rear wheels. I did extend the rear a little but left the wheelbase as is because I would have had to remove a section of solid resin just behind the crew compartment which deterred me.
I did however use the Airfix quad chassis to build a Guy Quad Ant which will be posted in due time.

Cheers,

Neil

April 21st, 2013, 10:18 am #9

Cheers,

Neil

Inspiring and well executed Neil, thanks for showing us and I am being overly stimulated by your work, truly excellent!

April 21st, 2013, 10:20 am #10

Cheers,

Neil

Superb build,paint and composition- very inspiring

best regards Brian Stoffersen