Just seen 'Dunkirk' film at an IMAX...

March 10th, 2018, 9:29 pm #1

Hi
It's a true soldier's / airman's tale, very gritty, realistic, and a sheer experience. It's certainly not a barrel of laughs, but was totally engaging. Incredibly filmed, the music by Hans Zimmer is overwhelmingly brilliant with a touch of Elgar to be heard.

I'm not mentioning the lack of historical background (or whom they were actually fighting).
But it's more the story of survival of a group of men. Certainly food for thought.

Definitely a ride of a film. Proud to be British too...

And how the aerial shooting happened -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 513407001/

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by AndrewTomlinson on March 10th, 2018, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You Brits...

March 10th, 2018, 10:11 pm #2

…need your own "Band of Brothers"-type series. The Eighth Army in North Africa would be perfect for that. So get cracking.

Agreed - also wait for the new Pegasus Bridge film...

March 10th, 2018, 10:38 pm #3

due out in July 18.

Also I wonder if this is going to happen sometime ? -

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ridle ... 202021890/

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by AndrewTomlinson on March 10th, 2018, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In My Opinion...

March 11th, 2018, 12:37 am #4

Hi
It's a true soldier's / airman's tale, very gritty, realistic, and a sheer experience. It's certainly not a barrel of laughs, but was totally engaging. Incredibly filmed, the music by Hans Zimmer is overwhelmingly brilliant with a touch of Elgar to be heard.

I'm not mentioning the lack of historical background (or whom they were actually fighting).
But it's more the story of survival of a group of men. Certainly food for thought.

Cheers
Andrew
The BBC 2017 "Dunkirk: A Race Against Time" was much superior to the recent WB movie.

The character development was better, the historical references were very well used, and the "story" telling was way, way better. The BBC also did an excellent job of telling the story of the interaction between the British and French forces, while IMO the WB movie only gave token mention of it.

Both are available on DVD, so it makes for an interesting contrast to binge watch them one right after the other. After watching the BBC version, I was sorely disappointed in the "feature length" movie finding it superficial, trite and full of Hollywood war movie clichés. The BBC version is much more entertaining even with the historical narrative interruptions.

I was also underwhelmed by the film

March 11th, 2018, 4:29 pm #5

Admittedly I watched it on an airliner rather than an IMAX screen but for me it lacked the sense of scale that the real event had. It all looked very modest in size, despite the hundreds of thousands of troops there. There was a far superior tracking shot in Atonement, for example, which did that even though it was only a minor part of the plot. The Spitfire flying along the beach with no fuel and shooting down an enemy aircraft before making a perfect landing on the beach struck me as just ridiculous and there was no sense of the spirit which was reported among those waiting to be evacuated, with our ‘hero’ willing to cheat his way out. And what on earth were they all doing in that beached and holed boat? It clearly wasn’t going to float but they waited in there until it was nearly full of water before considering getting out.

Leslie Norman did it better in my worthless opinion.

I liked it, but not that much

March 11th, 2018, 10:01 pm #6

The BBC 2017 "Dunkirk: A Race Against Time" was much superior to the recent WB movie.

The character development was better, the historical references were very well used, and the "story" telling was way, way better. The BBC also did an excellent job of telling the story of the interaction between the British and French forces, while IMO the WB movie only gave token mention of it.

Both are available on DVD, so it makes for an interesting contrast to binge watch them one right after the other. After watching the BBC version, I was sorely disappointed in the "feature length" movie finding it superficial, trite and full of Hollywood war movie clichés. The BBC version is much more entertaining even with the historical narrative interruptions.
I saw it in the local theater last year. The back and forth between scenes was not done well and it wasn't all I had hoped it would be. I also agree that British movie making needs to step up and make something better. Your TV shows are very good, your movies should be as well.
RobG

Re: In My Opinion...

March 12th, 2018, 9:15 am #7

These sort of films always disappoint the history enthusiasts.

Let’s be honest it is all but impossible to accurately reproduce something of the magnitude of the Dunkirk ( BoB, Arnhem etc etc ) story in a 90 minute film which is aimed as entertainment for the vast non history minded public.

Possibly the nearest film to decently portray something of a similar scale was Schindler’s List which was twice as long in running time. This giving enough space to develop character and tell the story.

What I find more surprising is that modellers and historians are surprised when these films are a disappointment to them.

I haven’t watched the film as I tend to avoid these type of films.

Andrew

The BBC did...

March 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm #8

An admirable job in only 180 minutes with their 2017 version. True, that is three hours, but most feature length films only run about two hours at the theater. Given that the BBC production was made in four (IIRC) parts with intros and closings for each part included in that total running time, the actual difference in content was probably much less than one hour.

I'd submit that reasonable accuracy can be presented in about two hours along with good story telling which doesn't hang on clichés and worn out stereotypes.

In the end, I wasn't so much surprised that the recent WB Dunkirk film was so poorly done as I was that it got such high praise from folks that I thought were otherwise pretty discerning (and not just here).

Good, but not great!

March 13th, 2018, 12:08 am #9

Hi

Cheers
Andrew
Given all the hype around the film, I was quite a bit disappointed with the result.

I've seen much more modest movies where they at least made an effort to make the houses and buildings look like actual period architecture (the houses in the deserted streets of Dunkirk were especially suspicious). And, although I'm no naval expert, I somehow thought the military ships looked way too modern.

This may sound trivial for most people, but I found it very distracting.

Also, it really took me a while to catch on to the going back-and-forth in time thing.

As far as I'm concerned, there were just too many incorrect details for me to overlook and truly enjoy the film.

Oh! And can any airplane expert here tell me how long a Spitfire can glide once it's run out of gas?

Cheers!

BBC

March 13th, 2018, 7:52 am #10

An admirable job in only 180 minutes with their 2017 version. True, that is three hours, but most feature length films only run about two hours at the theater. Given that the BBC production was made in four (IIRC) parts with intros and closings for each part included in that total running time, the actual difference in content was probably much less than one hour.

I'd submit that reasonable accuracy can be presented in about two hours along with good story telling which doesn't hang on clichés and worn out stereotypes.

In the end, I wasn't so much surprised that the recent WB Dunkirk film was so poorly done as I was that it got such high praise from folks that I thought were otherwise pretty discerning (and not just here).
Hi Mike
Whilst I agree with you there are a few but important differences

1 length of program.
2 meduim. TV bs Cinema
3 Audience. uk vs international
4 company that is financings the project

I just think trying to tell such large subject time scale and with the aimed audience is pretty much impossible. Possible to do like Band of Brothers which concentrates on telling the story of a small group of people involved in a large event.

As I jsaid I just don’t go to see these type films as they are generally pretty poor. I haven’t even read the reviews

Regards
Andrew