JSU rounded vs sharp nose redux.

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

JSU rounded vs sharp nose redux.

August 1st, 2012, 10:03 am #1

Hi all,

Done the search thing and came up with this :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... v-+welded-

Have any new information and photos come to light?

I just got the MR Modellbau sharp nose conversion for the Tamiya kit and ideally would like to make a JSU-122S or a JSU-122...

Had a quick look in my books yesterday and most if not all "in action" pics seem to show the rounded nose vehicles.

Back to my project, I don't mind if the vehicle is postwar or WW2.

Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers,

Christophe

August 1st, 2012, 11:20 am #2

Hi Christophe,

The answer Neil gave in the mentioned older thread are still correct.
Additionally on his homepage www.4bogreen.com is now a lot more information :
Check his IS(U) recipies and his pdf dokuments e.g.
http://www.4bogreen.com/amps-nationals/ ... r.pdf/view
including production periods and numbers built.

The UZTM nose from MR fits the Tamiya kit well, especially when you look at the fact that the Tamiya rear upper back plate represents also the UZTM lifting hook arangement, which is different to the same part in the IS-2 kit (No. 200 hull). You need to add the little triangles at the rear end of the engine deck at the grill frame.

For a ISU-122 "just" replace the barrel, use Model Point or CMK (or undersized Dragon barrel) and fill the surrounding hole of the gun mount ... see the superb article in "Panzer Aces #39"
http://euromodelismo.com/shop/product_i ... cts_id=566

For a ISU-122S you need the complete gun mount from the Dragon kit plus some additional work or you do a scratch build. I also used a Aber IS-2 barrel. Best is to buy the new revised Dragon ISU-152 3in1 kit as it has the revised hull and the parts for all three gun variations.

Best Regards, Franz

Last edited by franzwidl on August 1st, 2012, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 1st, 2012, 2:50 pm #3

Hi all,

Done the search thing and came up with this :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... v-+welded-

Have any new information and photos come to light?

I just got the MR Modellbau sharp nose conversion for the Tamiya kit and ideally would like to make a JSU-122S or a JSU-122...

Had a quick look in my books yesterday and most if not all "in action" pics seem to show the rounded nose vehicles.

Back to my project, I don't mind if the vehicle is postwar or WW2.

Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers,

Christophe
To convert Tamiya's ISU-152 to 122, you need completely new gun mount, it is narrower then ISU-152 mount,
and a gun barrel of course.

Michael Szapowalow

August 2nd, 2012, 7:18 am #4

Hi Michael

When you say narrower, do you mean the whole thing, or just the central hole? I thought the casting and mantlet were basically the same. What do I need to do to my ISU-122?

Help!

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

August 2nd, 2012, 7:38 am #5

Hi Christophe,

The answer Neil gave in the mentioned older thread are still correct.
Additionally on his homepage www.4bogreen.com is now a lot more information :
Check his IS(U) recipies and his pdf dokuments e.g.
http://www.4bogreen.com/amps-nationals/ ... r.pdf/view
including production periods and numbers built.

The UZTM nose from MR fits the Tamiya kit well, especially when you look at the fact that the Tamiya rear upper back plate represents also the UZTM lifting hook arangement, which is different to the same part in the IS-2 kit (No. 200 hull). You need to add the little triangles at the rear end of the engine deck at the grill frame.

For a ISU-122 "just" replace the barrel, use Model Point or CMK (or undersized Dragon barrel) and fill the surrounding hole of the gun mount ... see the superb article in "Panzer Aces #39"
http://euromodelismo.com/shop/product_i ... cts_id=566

For a ISU-122S you need the complete gun mount from the Dragon kit plus some additional work or you do a scratch build. I also used a Aber IS-2 barrel. Best is to buy the new revised Dragon ISU-152 3in1 kit as it has the revised hull and the parts for all three gun variations.

Best Regards, Franz

Thanks a lot for all the info! I've printed out this Pdf.

Cheers,

Christophe

August 2nd, 2012, 7:40 am #6

To convert Tamiya's ISU-152 to 122, you need completely new gun mount, it is narrower then ISU-152 mount,

Michael Szapowalow
Thanks for the information.

I might use the Panzer Art mantlet canvas cover for the JSU-152 for that JSU-122, it's quite loose so the difference in mantlets should be hidden?

Cheers,

Christophe

August 2nd, 2012, 10:09 am #7

Michael Szapowalow
Presumably you mean if converting to the ISU-122s with the rounded mantlet etc. The mantlet of the ISU-152 and 122 (with A-19) appear to be the same (although there does seem to be a few subtle variations among the 152's). For the A-19 version ISU-122, the best aftermarket barrel seems to be Model Point piece. Unfortunately, it can't be directly used with the Tamiya ISU-152, but needs an spacer at the base of about 4 mm - easily done. It will then scale out well to plans in Russian books. The bigger problem with the Model Point barrel is that it has step about 10 mm in the from the base which would need to be faired over somehow. Otherwise, it would look just right.

Cheers,
Shane