JS-3 Camouflage question

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

JS-3 Camouflage question

September 14th, 2017, 2:50 am #1

Or more appropriately was the JS-3 every in Russian service with any camouflage schemes? How about other post war series of tanks? I could see a winter white wash and found photos of JS-3 tanks used by Middle East countries in desert sand, but otherwise nothing. The parade tanks with white fender edges and such do not count.

Any early post-war period camouflage patterns that would make a reasonable "what if"?

September 14th, 2017, 3:15 am #2

here, Kent. It's a start and you could always use camo-schemes from Jordan, Syria and Egypt......Dan
http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=35

September 14th, 2017, 6:59 am #3

Or more appropriately was the JS-3 every in Russian service with any camouflage schemes? How about other post war series of tanks? I could see a winter white wash and found photos of JS-3 tanks used by Middle East countries in desert sand, but otherwise nothing. The parade tanks with white fender edges and such do not count.

Any early post-war period camouflage patterns that would make a reasonable "what if"?
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/s ... IS-III.php

Pretty much plain olive green

September 14th, 2017, 11:12 am #4

Did they make it into sand/red-brown/charcoal cam?

September 14th, 2017, 1:17 pm #5

if you are referring to my post, this is why.......Dan

September 15th, 2017, 5:26 am #6

here, Kent. It's a start and you could always use camo-schemes from Jordan, Syria and Egypt......Dan
http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=35
Very interesting scheme for a what-if. It got me wondering about other Russian armor 1945-1950. I looked at the website Mark linked and google, but it seems as though USSR tanks came from the Henry Ford School of colors... Just one is all they needed.

September 15th, 2017, 9:32 am #7

Egypt and Syria both had Russian armor with camo-schemes, but you would have to go into the sixties, I believe. Check out some Middle East wars for that. They used the T-34/85, T-54/55, ISU-152, PT-76, etc, etc.....Dan