Joe Ekins - Sad News

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Joe Ekins - Sad News

February 7th, 2012, 2:27 pm #1

Sad news, just read that Joe Ekins has passed away:

http://mallinsonblog.dailymail.co.uk/20 ... ekins.html

February 7th, 2012, 3:20 pm #2

RIP Mr. Ekins. Mike

February 7th, 2012, 3:21 pm #3

my thoughts go to his family.
Regardless of the controversy regarding the death of Wittmann, Joe served his country and the allies with honor. That is not controversial, and worthy of praise in itself.

February 7th, 2012, 9:05 pm #4

Sad news indeed. As the article points out he was 88 years old. Irony.
R.I.P.

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

February 7th, 2012, 10:42 pm #5

my thoughts go to his family.
Regardless of the controversy regarding the death of Wittmann, Joe served his country and the allies with honor. That is not controversial, and worthy of praise in itself.
A very brave man indeed, and by all accounts deeply modest

RIP Joe Ekins

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

February 8th, 2012, 12:12 am #6

Our condolances should go be with those that survive him, our thoughts should go to how a modest young man made an impact to help liberate Europe

History is Cynical

February 8th, 2012, 2:09 pm #7

Any models of it done.

February 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm #8

It was a VC of 1 Northamptonshire Yeomanry of 33 Armoured Bde. DML's original Firefly Kit offered markings for it although I have never researched these for accuracy. Markings Are:
Aos 173 in White on A Red Square with a White bar under the square
Formation: Brack and Green Diablo (Green inverted Triangle over Black Tringle with White Outline
Squadron Tp Nos: Triangle on rear of turret / radio Box with a small 3 to the left upper corner (outside) - (This should possibly be in Red for the Senior regt however I have not researched this and variations exist)
Turret Number: Red 12 outlined in White
T Number - Not included in the kit
Name: Velikye Luki (as supplied - again no reference or confirmation this is the correct Speling) Red outlined in White on a black rectangle

Those markings were discontinued in the current and Orange Box variants of this kit (Certainly in Kit 6121 and 6031 and depicted on the Boxtop - sadly not Ron Volstad Illustrations like the later kit)
1st Release

2nd Release

For all the boxart conspirasists I am still waiting for DML's Churchill seen in the first artwork and the AVRE in the Guards Armoured M4A4 boxart. We did get 007 though

Again I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these illustrations or markings or even the type of VC depicted. I cannot recall ever seeing a photo of the real vehicle at anytime and Mr Ekins did not have a picture of that vehicle.

Try a search of this Forum for it as it has been discussed a lot before. Osprey do a Duel title devoted to this action (Firefly vs Tiger - No 2) although alot of the artwork is highly questionable and contradicts the text etc. I do not however recommend the DML kits. Get a Tasca VC

Very sad news but considering the losses in British Forces in Normandy a very lucky man to have had such a full life. I had the pleasure of exchanging correspondence many years ago whilst aiding in research for a 1/6th Figure (Battle Barbie) for production. A truly humble and gracious man.

Cheers
Al
Last edited by Al Bowie on February 8th, 2012, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2012, 2:35 am #9

Had opportunity to correspond with Mr. Ekins over a period of several years. Wonderful man. RIP. Wittmann or not, his actions against the three Tigers 8 8 44 is one of the greatest feats in the annals of armored combat.

February 9th, 2012, 1:36 pm #10

It was a VC of 1 Northamptonshire Yeomanry of 33 Armoured Bde. DML's original Firefly Kit offered markings for it although I have never researched these for accuracy. Markings Are:
Aos 173 in White on A Red Square with a White bar under the square
Formation: Brack and Green Diablo (Green inverted Triangle over Black Tringle with White Outline
Squadron Tp Nos: Triangle on rear of turret / radio Box with a small 3 to the left upper corner (outside) - (This should possibly be in Red for the Senior regt however I have not researched this and variations exist)
Turret Number: Red 12 outlined in White
T Number - Not included in the kit
Name: Velikye Luki (as supplied - again no reference or confirmation this is the correct Speling) Red outlined in White on a black rectangle

Those markings were discontinued in the current and Orange Box variants of this kit (Certainly in Kit 6121 and 6031 and depicted on the Boxtop - sadly not Ron Volstad Illustrations like the later kit)
1st Release

2nd Release

For all the boxart conspirasists I am still waiting for DML's Churchill seen in the first artwork and the AVRE in the Guards Armoured M4A4 boxart. We did get 007 though

Again I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these illustrations or markings or even the type of VC depicted. I cannot recall ever seeing a photo of the real vehicle at anytime and Mr Ekins did not have a picture of that vehicle.

Try a search of this Forum for it as it has been discussed a lot before. Osprey do a Duel title devoted to this action (Firefly vs Tiger - No 2) although alot of the artwork is highly questionable and contradicts the text etc. I do not however recommend the DML kits. Get a Tasca VC

Very sad news but considering the losses in British Forces in Normandy a very lucky man to have had such a full life. I had the pleasure of exchanging correspondence many years ago whilst aiding in research for a 1/6th Figure (Battle Barbie) for production. A truly humble and gracious man.

Cheers
Al
I can't remember ever seeing either of those kits.