Jig/former for tie down handles

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Jig/former for tie down handles

January 17th, 2012, 9:22 pm #1

Hi all, I need to make some triangular tie down handles and wondered if anyone had any tips on how best to make these? I'm thinking of using something like a triangular mini file and then wrap thin brass wire around it, but I wondered if there was anything else that would work?

Also, I need a few other types of handles (which I think may be classed as tie down types), which are the ones that resemble half a rectangle if that makes any sense?

Any help much appreciated.

January 18th, 2012, 5:57 am #2

You can use a steel 6 1nch ruler. Placing the ruler on a flat surface, take the wire and bend it around one of the corners. Use the flat side of a wide chisel blade, or anything else which is flat, and push the wire aginst the edges of the ruler. The smallest triangular tiedown you'll be able to cut from the wire will be 1.5mm wide at the open end. I tried it out before posting this reply; so, I know it works.
Last edited by Joe Zrodlowski on January 18th, 2012, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2012, 7:08 am #3

Joseph, many thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try it out later.