Japanese tank colors?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Japanese tank colors?

Ole Toennesen
Ole Toennesen

November 25th, 2002, 5:39 pm #1

Could anyone help me with a near match in Federal Standard Colors for Japanese WWII tank Colors.
I´ve been searching through the internet and my modelling magazines, but the closest I have come to a definition is in modelling colors unavailable to me.
Having the color chart, I could make my own blend.

And while we are at it: I have seen (In Armor Modelling Vol. 12) a Type 3 "Chi-Nu" Medium Tank painted two-tone green. Any suggestions to what colors may be used for this late-war sceme?

Thanks in advance
Ole

Dave O'Hara
Dave O'Hara

November 25th, 2002, 10:50 pm #2

...called Basic Military Vehicle Modelling, from Compendium Modelling Manuals. The book shows a Type 97 tank and refers to the base color as simply a Khaki shade with green and brown camoflage colors. No paint brands are mentioned and no FS Numbers are cited; but if you can get your hands on the book, the article will be helpful in your project. The series editor for this book is Jerry Scutts and the book itself, deals mainly with painting and weathering of armor models. Hope this is of help. Regards, Dave

George Proulx
George Proulx

November 26th, 2002, 4:55 am #3

Could anyone help me with a near match in Federal Standard Colors for Japanese WWII tank Colors.
I´ve been searching through the internet and my modelling magazines, but the closest I have come to a definition is in modelling colors unavailable to me.

And while we are at it: I have seen (In Armor Modelling Vol. 12) a Type 3 "Chi-Nu" Medium Tank painted two-tone green. Any suggestions to what colors may be used for this late-war sceme?

Thanks in advance
Ole
Ole, Check out Steve Zaloga's Osprey Vanguard #35 book noted above. The color plates seem close enough to accurate for my taste. See what you think. GEP

Erik Ahlström
Erik Ahlström

November 26th, 2002, 11:00 am #4

Thanks in advance
Ole
Hi!

Tankmaster from Poland has released two excellent books on Japanese armour (I suspect there is at least one more coming). They are bilingual and absoulutly packed with drawings, photos and colour artwork. These are among the best books I have seen.

Erik