Jagdtiger

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Jagdtiger

January 26th, 2009, 3:17 am #1

All this talk about Jagdtigers has prompted me to post something I've been mucking around with. I'm pretty busy and can't say when this will get finished. I imagine right about the time Tamiya will release a 1/48 Jagdtiger or DML gets into the game. I got inspired to build this when looking through my reference books and finding "Schwere Panzer in Detail". I just started thumbing through the pages and had forgotten how imposing and impressive an AFV the Jagdtiger actually is.

I've been on a 1/48th armor kick lately (working on the Pz.IV.J and Sherman.Firefly.IC) and just decided to stay with the theme. I'd heard that Bandai released it in the 70's, but not able to find many internet reviews and a magazine library only going back to early 1991 I had to just buy the kit and go with it.

I wasn't all that impressed with the shape of certain parts, but taking into account its age and the molding technology available, its a pretty fine kit. I originally had the idea of using the fighting compartment and mantlet from the Bandai kit with the parts of the Tamiya upper hull, road wheels, and other parts. I knew I'd have to rework one of the lower hulls and went with the Bandai because its plastic. Thanks Tamiya.... :P I can honestly say that I'd have been better off and kinder to the Bandai Jagdtiger to have just scratched the whole fighting compartment and not used the Bandai kit at all.

The mantlet was far uglier than I could have anticipated. I don't have access to a lathe or advanced milling equipment. I couldn't see myself scratching a new mantle, barrel collar, or saukopfblende. What to do? I'd heard of www.printapart.com and always wanted to use their services. I'm also not at all versed in CAD and needed a model. I've contracted with http://cadprofessional.googlepages.com/ I've sent in drawings, pictures, and 1/35 parts for 3D reference, as well as the 1/48 metal barrel I'll be using. The proofs I've received so far look good. I intend to get it made by Print-A-Part and use that as a master for mold making and casting the final in resin. For all who are curious I intend to post both my costs and pictures of the model, master part, and final pieces once ready.

I'd really like some suggestions on schemes for this vehicle. I'd like to represent a chassis after zimmerit is discontinued but before additional track stowage or grab handles became standard features and the jack was eliminated. Enjoy the pictures. Oh. the Hauler goodies are for the Tamiya King Tiger. I'll also be using the Hauler tools and jack.

-Shon

January 26th, 2009, 5:09 am #2

I think you are doing some really outstanding work here and I for one am very impressed with what you have doen thus far. What I'd like you to do is re-shoot those in progress shots on a a neutral
background (keep the captions ...their good) and when the model is done do an article on it. I would also like someone to pick up the master for this and release it as a conversion.....any of you after market guys looking at this?

Well done....this is modelling!

Luke Pitt

January 26th, 2009, 1:32 pm #3

I really appreciate your comments Luke. I absolutely will take some additional pictures and write an article. I already have a light box setup for just such pics, but just busted these off real quick for this posting.

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag too early because I'm not sure how things are going to turn out. I had mentioned that "I'll probably do this again" with better lower hull references and sparing a Bandai kit. It was my intention to build a master for the fighting compartment (with room for interior decorating) and the lower hull.

Once I have the mantlet master pieces, I'll post pics of those and see if any of the resin guys bite....

Thanks again for your supportive comments,
Shon

January 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm #4

All this talk about Jagdtigers has prompted me to post something I've been mucking around with. I'm pretty busy and can't say when this will get finished. I imagine right about the time Tamiya will release a 1/48 Jagdtiger or DML gets into the game. I got inspired to build this when looking through my reference books and finding "Schwere Panzer in Detail". I just started thumbing through the pages and had forgotten how imposing and impressive an AFV the Jagdtiger actually is.

I've been on a 1/48th armor kick lately (working on the Pz.IV.J and Sherman.Firefly.IC) and just decided to stay with the theme. I'd heard that Bandai released it in the 70's, but not able to find many internet reviews and a magazine library only going back to early 1991 I had to just buy the kit and go with it.

I wasn't all that impressed with the shape of certain parts, but taking into account its age and the molding technology available, its a pretty fine kit. I originally had the idea of using the fighting compartment and mantlet from the Bandai kit with the parts of the Tamiya upper hull, road wheels, and other parts. I knew I'd have to rework one of the lower hulls and went with the Bandai because its plastic. Thanks Tamiya.... :P I can honestly say that I'd have been better off and kinder to the Bandai Jagdtiger to have just scratched the whole fighting compartment and not used the Bandai kit at all.

The mantlet was far uglier than I could have anticipated. I don't have access to a lathe or advanced milling equipment. I couldn't see myself scratching a new mantle, barrel collar, or saukopfblende. What to do? I'd heard of www.printapart.com and always wanted to use their services. I'm also not at all versed in CAD and needed a model. I've contracted with http://cadprofessional.googlepages.com/ I've sent in drawings, pictures, and 1/35 parts for 3D reference, as well as the 1/48 metal barrel I'll be using. The proofs I've received so far look good. I intend to get it made by Print-A-Part and use that as a master for mold making and casting the final in resin. For all who are curious I intend to post both my costs and pictures of the model, master part, and final pieces once ready.

I'd really like some suggestions on schemes for this vehicle. I'd like to represent a chassis after zimmerit is discontinued but before additional track stowage or grab handles became standard features and the jack was eliminated. Enjoy the pictures. Oh. the Hauler goodies are for the Tamiya King Tiger. I'll also be using the Hauler tools and jack.

-Shon

but you're right, as soon as somebody scratches something, it will be the next release. We thank you
Seriously, best of luck and it looks good so far. Steve Faxon may have some tips for you as he did something like this. You can find him here or track48.com
Greg

January 26th, 2009, 4:35 pm #5

-Shon

Shon,

Congrats on your beginning, not only for the elaborate work you are doing there but also for picking this complicated subject. I wonder now what the JadgTiger has that many people loves it, being a relatively rare tankhunter...

Please keep us posted with your pregress and good luck!
Lu

January 27th, 2009, 12:16 pm #6

-Shon

Shon,I am ready for my scratchbuilding lesson!Just have to find a Bandai Jagdtiger
Arnaud.

January 27th, 2009, 1:51 pm #7

It'd be a lot easier to just use the Tamiya King Tiger and scratch a lower hull and fighting compartment. In fact, I've had to give up using the Bandai lower hull altogether and am in process of scratching the lower.

-Shon

January 27th, 2009, 7:00 pm #8

Shon,I think that your"lot easier"means for me "waiting for SRTK kit"( Shon's Resin Transfo Kit)
Arnaud.

January 29th, 2009, 4:35 pm #9

It could be a long time in coming. Seriously though, I find it easier to sometimes just scratch something rather than try to butcher kit parts. They end up in the trash after I've carved or sanded them too much.

-Shon