Jagdtiger diorama input needed...

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Jagdtiger diorama input needed...

James Smith
James Smith

July 19th, 2004, 3:31 am #1

I have pretty much finished my Dragon Jagdtiger, except for the tracks, and I am planning on putting it in a small diorama, about 24x19 centimetres. I have painted two of Tamiya's Winter Field briefing Figures(NCO checking time and kneeling rifleman) to have next to the Jagdtiger, basically to show its size to the viewer. The actual vehicle has alot of rust on it as it has been abandoned. I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas for the diorama(eg. extra figures, scenery)? I might put in a Kettenkrad from Dragon and have the figures looking into the distance, ie reconnaisance patrol. Any thoughts or photos will be much appreciated. Cheers from down under, James

Jay Damschen
Jay Damschen

July 19th, 2004, 4:47 am #2

Hi James, how about an enemy soldier (Russian, American or British) hiding under your Jagdtiger. I was thinking that since it`s supposed to be abandoned with a German recon patrol coming upon it, it would show that a counterattack was underway. You could even have the enemy soldier getting ready to toss a grenade, Just a thought, Jay.

Perry Lockhart
Perry Lockhart

July 19th, 2004, 5:28 am #3

I have pretty much finished my Dragon Jagdtiger, except for the tracks, and I am planning on putting it in a small diorama, about 24x19 centimetres. I have painted two of Tamiya's Winter Field briefing Figures(NCO checking time and kneeling rifleman) to have next to the Jagdtiger, basically to show its size to the viewer. The actual vehicle has alot of rust on it as it has been abandoned. I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas for the diorama(eg. extra figures, scenery)? I might put in a Kettenkrad from Dragon and have the figures looking into the distance, ie reconnaisance patrol. Any thoughts or photos will be much appreciated. Cheers from down under, James
Hello,

The first actions that the jagdtigers saw was in operation Nordwind that I talked about in my last post. Very interesting stuff. After the operation was considered a failure, the remaining Jagdtigers were sent to the Hagenau forest and used as artilery in Feb. '45 . They also saw action as the Americans entered germany itself and played a big part in the defense of germany against the US. I dont think there were many deployed against the Russians, if there was there wasn't many. There were 88 produced total. If I were you I would do it in the Nordwind Operation, as thats where the most action was seen w/ the Jagdtiger. The Alsace region was hilly/mountianous with lots of snow ( early January ). Do some reasearch, thats half the fun, getting to know the history of what your building, where it fought, its advantages and disadvantages and so on. Hope I helped, and read my post about nordwind.

Perry

David Nickels
David Nickels

July 19th, 2004, 10:55 pm #4

There is a Jagdtiger at Kubinka and the only known photo of a JT with a unit insignia has a Russian soldier with the tank.

Perry Lockhart
Perry Lockhart

July 20th, 2004, 2:46 am #5

I have the TIGER IN ACTION book from squadron signal publications and there is a section on Jagdtigers in there and THERE IS 3 photos of captured JT's with American soldiers standing on top of the tanks during 1945. And the unit markings 332 and 331 are clearly visible on them.

Perry

Jay Damchen
Jay Damchen

July 20th, 2004, 4:58 am #6

Hi Perry, when David was talking about unit markings I don`t think that he meant turret numbers or in this case hull numbers.

Jay Damschen
Jay Damschen

July 20th, 2004, 5:05 am #7

How do you know that James did`t do any research?, He`s just asking for dio ideas, Jay.

James Smith
James Smith

July 20th, 2004, 6:57 am #8

I did a lot of research about the Jagdtiger before I started building it, but the best I could find from my limited resources was details on the vehicle and general service activities during WW2. One or two Jagdtigers did serve on the Eastern Front(considering a lot of equipment went there due to the need) and some served in the West. Just thought someone who knows more about the Jagdtiger might know a lot more scenarioes that could be used for a diorama. Cheers, James.

David Nickels
David Nickels

July 20th, 2004, 8:50 pm #9

I have the TIGER IN ACTION book from squadron signal publications and there is a section on Jagdtigers in there and THERE IS 3 photos of captured JT's with American soldiers standing on top of the tanks during 1945. And the unit markings 332 and 331 are clearly visible on them.

Perry
I don't think of code numbers as being a unit insignia. There is a photo of a Russian captured Jagtiger in Last of the Panzers with a red/white (?) articulated toy bear painted on the superstructure. Sort of like the Berlin Bear but like a toy bear.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 20th, 2004, 8:54 pm #10

How do you know that James did`t do any research?, He`s just asking for dio ideas, Jay.
I did not say he didn't do research.
Perry