Jagdpanzer IV L70(V) plasticine masking w.i.p.

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Jagdpanzer IV L70(V) plasticine masking w.i.p.

May 20th, 2012, 10:18 am #1

Hello,

let me first introduce myself. I am Jörg and have built armor models since I was a little boy.
I came back to the hobby like two years ago after a break of almost 10 years.
Most of the models that I started in the last two years are not fully finished yet (must be some kind of disease).
Encouraged by Stefan Bernets great "Halbe Tiger" diorama I decided to post some wip photos of one of my last projects.
This is the DML kit 6397 almost right ootb. I wanted to reproduce a late war hard edge 3 tone camo pattern and decided to try the masking with plasticine for children.
I just used acrylics from Vallejo and Tamyia and removed the plasticine almost immediatly after spraying (masking, airbrushing and removing took me like 4 hours).
I am not 100% happy with the result but I think it is ok for the first try with this technique.
There is still alot of work to be done with this model and I am going to put it into a small diorama aswell (maybe located in Hungary 1945).
Please excuse the bad photos.

[/

][/

J.

May 20th, 2012, 11:26 am #2

Looks good to me Jorge!

I would be proud of that!

May 20th, 2012, 11:57 am #3

Hello,

let me first introduce myself. I am Jörg and have built armor models since I was a little boy.
Most of the models that I started in the last two years are not fully finished yet (must be some kind of disease).
Encouraged by Stefan Bernets great "Halbe Tiger" diorama I decided to post some wip photos of one of my last projects.
This is the DML kit 6397 almost right ootb. I wanted to reproduce a late war hard edge 3 tone camo pattern and decided to try the masking with plasticine for children.
I just used acrylics from Vallejo and Tamyia and removed the plasticine almost immediatly after spraying (masking, airbrushing and removing took me like 4 hours).
I am not 100% happy with the result but I think it is ok for the first try with this technique.
There is still alot of work to be done with this model and I am going to put it into a small diorama aswell (maybe located in Hungary 1945).

[/

][/

J.
Very good idea from plasticine , painting looks very good. still a bit of dust and rust stains in some places. A bit of polished steel on tracks and can give the model will look like a real ...........
Regards - Andy

1:15 scale resin panzer..
http://bigtank120.blogspot.com/

May 20th, 2012, 1:11 pm #4

Hello,

[/

][/

J.
Hi
Now I'm inspired to do my old Tamiya one!!! Great camo effect.

Andrew

May 20th, 2012, 1:38 pm #5

Hello,

[/

][/

J.
And thank you very much for the pics. I've been trying to find a visual reference for using putty while masking camoflage and your pictures illustrate the process perfectly.

Nice work and thanks again.

Cheers,
Peter

May 20th, 2012, 4:30 pm #6

Hello,

[/

][/

J.
Hi Joerg

the masking worked out very good. Looks as clean as the best results I have seen with blue tack.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Stefan

May 21st, 2012, 9:49 pm #7

Hello,

[/

][/

J.
Thanks guys !

I will keep you all on track with the progress.

J.