Italian armor at El Alamein

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Italian armor at El Alamein

September 27th, 2011, 1:25 am #1

I recently watched the Battle of El Alamein on the History's channels greatest tank battles series and I was somewhat surprised to see that almost no attention was paid to the contribution of Italian armor in that battle. The Italians did have two Armored divisions that did take part in the battle, namely the Ariete and the Littorio. I realize that the British and Germans were the "Big Dogs" so to speak but to completely discount the Italian participation in that famous battle as this program did, I felt was ridiculous. True their tanks were flimsy mobile coffins compared to the major Allied and German types but the Italians simply did not sit out of the fighting, if anything their armor was in the thick of it in which a large proportion of their tanks were destroyed and their crews killed. I would like to mention I am a fan of the Osprey Duel series of books and I think a possible topic could be, the British Crusader Mk 1 vs the Italian M13/40 during Operation Crusader in late 1941. Of course this only a suggestion.

September 27th, 2011, 3:53 pm #2

I find that Greatest Tank Battles leaves a lot to be desired. I watched the episode on the Battle of the Bulge last night. They compared the Panther to a 75 mm gunned Sherman, even though many of the 4 AD Shermans were 76 mm tanks, including the famous on chalked with "First in Bastogne" (they even showed an M4A3E8 but didn't mention anything about the 76 mm gun). They also showed a "digital" lineup of about 20 JagdTigers spaced about 3' apart firing one after another - that's about 1/4 of the entire production! I doubt there were that many in the entire battle, let alone all together at once.

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Rothman
AMPS 2nd VP - Canada