Italeri M4A1 (76 mm)

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Italeri M4A1 (76 mm)

June 29th, 2012, 10:04 am #1

Hi,
Some years ago I built this Italeri M4A1 (the only kit on the market at that time) and last month I rebuilt and repainted it.
Some pictures of the first building stage (I think it was 2002 when I took them with my old film camera)

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

The rebuilding stage: some new Eduard PE, new pistol port casting, new gun and a reworked gun shield

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Repainting stage
- grey primer,
- Tamiya olive drab
- future,
- some decals from an old Tamiya M4A3 and an hand made star
- first weathering with oil paints
- Aguaplast plaster to reproduce mud
- Future

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

- second weathering with oil paints and some MIG pigments. I reproduce 10-1 ration boxes with a CAd program and then I printed them on thin tan paper. Tanker comes from Alpine.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio

June 29th, 2012, 10:29 am #2

An old dog never looked so good!! You have done a great job there, I too have built one of these, they weren't too bad either, well done.
Shane

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.

June 29th, 2012, 11:10 am #3

Hi,
Some years ago I built this Italeri M4A1 (the only kit on the market at that time) and last month I rebuilt and repainted it.
Some pictures of the first building stage (I think it was 2002 when I took them with my old film camera)

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

The rebuilding stage: some new Eduard PE, new pistol port casting, new gun and a reworked gun shield

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Repainting stage
- grey primer,
- Tamiya olive drab
- future,
- Future

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

- second weathering with oil paints and some MIG pigments. I reproduce 10-1 ration boxes with a CAd program and then I printed them on thin tan paper. Tanker comes from Alpine.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio
are they homemade ? but yep good fun rebuilding these old kits and the work you put into yours makes it look the goods welldone

June 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm #4

You are right, Jamie.
Boxing gloves are hand made.
I made a Milliput model of right and left gloves to make a silicon mould. Then I casted two pairs of them in resin.
Ciao
Pierantonio
Last edited by ferreamole.it on June 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2012, 3:39 pm #5

Hi,

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Repainting stage
- grey primer,
- Tamiya olive drab
- future,
- Future

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio
I think the commander's cupola should be on the other side of the turret, unless this is some sort of field modification.

June 29th, 2012, 5:07 pm #6

Yes, it was a field modification by 3rd Armored Division. A friend of mine told me it was common on commanding tank. Sure I don't know why they did it.

The model is my personal interpretation of the following picture (published only for discussion pourpose)

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio

June 29th, 2012, 6:40 pm #7

Hi,

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Repainting stage
- grey primer,
- Tamiya olive drab
- future,
- Future

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio
Great work on what is still one of my favourite models. In some places more accurate than the Dragon version.

I like the glacis applique armour and the switched hatches.
The boxing gloves are also a nice touch I've seen them in a photo of I think a 6th AD Sherman

Pat McGrath
Work to become not to acquire
Last edited by Parkadge1 on June 30th, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm #8

Hi,

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Repainting stage
- grey primer,
- Tamiya olive drab
- future,
- Future

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio
First off great rebuild really like the mud effect Second, I gotta ask how do you paint the plaster to the color you want with out the color getting onto the parts of the tank you dont want it on ? I have never tried this and I really like the effect and wish to try it. If anyone has a link to a posting or a tutorial I can read I would really appreciate it

June 30th, 2012, 2:54 pm #9

Yes, it was a field modification by 3rd Armored Division. A friend of mine told me it was common on commanding tank. Sure I don't know why they did it.

The model is my personal interpretation of the following picture (published only for discussion pourpose)

[/img]

Ciao
Pierantonio
hi agood work. the oryginal tank was photographed by Korbach.
the idea with the cuppola was to protect the tank commander from the sides during his "work"...
someone here will be know it better...

best regards

Peter