Italeri #6352 Armed Pick-up

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Italeri #6352 Armed Pick-up

January 15th, 2012, 3:52 am #1

ITALERI #6352 Armed Pick-up "Upgraded Moulds" 1/24
U.S. Retail: $47.99
Random Comparison Prices: LuckyModel US $23.99, Great Models Webstore US $35.95

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser, circa-1980's, with .50 caliber machine gun on U.S. WWII Jeep mount

PLUSES:
+First re-issue of this 1/24 Toyota BJ-44 kit in a couple of decades
+Dashboards for right and left hand steering included (not mentioned on instructions)
+Includes full rear seat and side-facing rear seats (not mentioned on instructions)
+Quick builder (curbside, no engine), good for new/young/impatient modelers
+Great detail in places, e.g., separate windshield wipers
+Vast modification/conversion potential, e.g. with the back seats and a fabbed roll bar - Generic Third-World Dictator/Field Marshal Spec!

MINUSES:
-no interior door-panel or side detail - really obvious on an open vehicle like this
-no instrument panel decals or engraved i.p. detail at all. Ditto above obviousness.
-50-caliber mount screams "from a U.S. WWII Jeep!," may need tweaking to look more home-made
-usual ITALERI stinginess: no accessories, despite 3 different ESCI versions of this kit being issued with lots of extra goodies

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
PARTS COUNT:
GRAY: 63 parts for basic vehicle (some not used)
17 parts for .50 caliber machine gun and mount

CLEAR: 9 parts (windshield, side windows, lights)

BLACK VINYL TIRES: 5

DECALS: 4 sets of dual license plates, printed in black & white only:
1 set for Lebanon
2 sets for Somalia
1 set for Chad. Coolest option, since the license plates advertise "Diagnose Auto, Rue De 40 M N'Djamena." (Thanks, Mr. Opti-Visor!)

PARTS CONDITION: generally clean with minor flash, not bad considering the age of the molds

BACKGROUND: Way back around 1979, ESCI started issuing 1/24 kits of the Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser. Thru the early 1980's, three different versions were eventually released:

#3027 Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser Canvas Top - basic vehicle with a full raised soft top

#3028 Toyota BJ-44 Philippines Taxi - one of the coolest kits in the entire history of modeldom! A bonkers, psychedelic Filipino "jitney" taxi with an army of little chrome horses/figures for the hood, extra lights, horns, etc. Eye-popping decals included a signboard advertising "King Joey Caroso." This kit included a nice hardtop.

#3030 Toyota BJ-44 Savannah Master Kenia (sic) Safari - a zebra-striped safari truck, also a hardtop. This version had a roof rack full of jerry cans, wooden crates, spare tires, canvas bundles etc.

As far as I know, none of these 1/24 Land Cruiser kits have been available since the original ESCI issues of the early 1980's. All go for big bucks on eBay. For the curious, a quick Google will show you the kit boxes and contents.

SUMMARY: Well, the boxtop screams "Upgraded Moulds!" Huh? Where? I compared this kit to the old ESCI #3028 Filipino taxi in my garage. I don't see evidence of any "upgrading." Except for color, the sprues are identical.

So "upgraded" must mean the single new sprue with the .50 cal gun and mount. A few months ago, ITALERI issued kit #6351, its old 1/24 U.S. WWII Jeep with a newly-tooled .50 caliber gun. I checked the original 1/24 ITALERI Jeep in my garage, kit #721. It did NOT have a .50 cal, but did have the raised cloth top.

And here's the next kit in sequence, #6352 - a Toyota BJ-44 "technical" with the same .50 cal gun and mount. With the basic vehicle, ITALERI is on solid ground - armed Land Cruisers have been a favorite of grumpy insurgents around the world, especially the PLO in Lebanon. It would have been better to have a new 12.7mm DShK, of course, but that wasn't likely to happen.

Wishful thinking aside, it's a shame that ITALERI (as usual) was so stingy. We only get one can of .50 cal ammo, mounted directly to the gun itself. Assuming they still have the molds, it would have been really nice of ITALERI to throw in some goodies from the old ESCI Safari kit #3030 - especially the jerry cans. But that kit will probably come out later as a stand-alone release, like their re-issues of the old 1/24 ESCI Land Rover kits. It will be expensive.

SUGGESTIONS: if you're building a "technical," just cut the doors off. The users often did that anyway, for quick exits. Otherwise you have to deal with those baby-butt-smooth inner door panels. If you feel scratchy, the BJ-44 had vinyl inner door panels and photos are just a Google away.

You can find some 1/24 and 1/25 accessories to clutter up your BJ-44 in model car kits. e.g., several AMT 1/25 police car kits contained an M-16 rifle. I don't know of any 1/24 AK-47s but would love to. TAMIYA did a few WWII figures in plastic and metal many years ago, but of course those will only provide WWII U.S. or German equipment.

On eBay, you can find a huge variety of 1/24 and 1/25 jerry cans, oil drums, tools and other useful junk. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years and in Egypt for 4 years, so I feel fully qualified to build my own 1/24 scale bucket of falafel.

msmith144@socal.rr.com
Last edited by MSmith127 on January 15th, 2012, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 15th, 2012, 3:37 pm #2

nt

January 15th, 2012, 6:28 pm #3

ITALERI #6352 Armed Pick-up "Upgraded Moulds" 1/24
U.S. Retail: $47.99
Random Comparison Prices: LuckyModel US $23.99, Great Models Webstore US $35.95

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser, circa-1980's, with .50 caliber machine gun on U.S. WWII Jeep mount

PLUSES:
+First re-issue of this 1/24 Toyota BJ-44 kit in a couple of decades
+Dashboards for right and left hand steering included (not mentioned on instructions)
+Includes full rear seat and side-facing rear seats (not mentioned on instructions)
+Quick builder (curbside, no engine), good for new/young/impatient modelers
+Great detail in places, e.g., separate windshield wipers
+Vast modification/conversion potential, e.g. with the back seats and a fabbed roll bar - Generic Third-World Dictator/Field Marshal Spec!

MINUSES:
-no interior door-panel or side detail - really obvious on an open vehicle like this
-no instrument panel decals or engraved i.p. detail at all. Ditto above obviousness.
-50-caliber mount screams "from a U.S. WWII Jeep!," may need tweaking to look more home-made
-usual ITALERI stinginess: no accessories, despite 3 different ESCI versions of this kit being issued with lots of extra goodies

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
PARTS COUNT:
GRAY: 63 parts for basic vehicle (some not used)
17 parts for .50 caliber machine gun and mount

CLEAR: 9 parts (windshield, side windows, lights)

BLACK VINYL TIRES: 5

DECALS: 4 sets of dual license plates, printed in black & white only:
1 set for Lebanon
2 sets for Somalia
1 set for Chad. Coolest option, since the license plates advertise "Diagnose Auto, Rue De 40 M N'Djamena." (Thanks, Mr. Opti-Visor!)

PARTS CONDITION: generally clean with minor flash, not bad considering the age of the molds

BACKGROUND: Way back around 1979, ESCI started issuing 1/24 kits of the Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser. Thru the early 1980's, three different versions were eventually released:

#3027 Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser Canvas Top - basic vehicle with a full raised soft top

#3028 Toyota BJ-44 Philippines Taxi - one of the coolest kits in the entire history of modeldom! A bonkers, psychedelic Filipino "jitney" taxi with an army of little chrome horses/figures for the hood, extra lights, horns, etc. Eye-popping decals included a signboard advertising "King Joey Caroso." This kit included a nice hardtop.

#3030 Toyota BJ-44 Savannah Master Kenia (sic) Safari - a zebra-striped safari truck, also a hardtop. This version had a roof rack full of jerry cans, wooden crates, spare tires, canvas bundles etc.

As far as I know, none of these 1/24 Land Cruiser kits have been available since the original ESCI issues of the early 1980's. All go for big bucks on eBay. For the curious, a quick Google will show you the kit boxes and contents.

SUMMARY: Well, the boxtop screams "Upgraded Moulds!" Huh? Where? I compared this kit to the old ESCI #3028 Filipino taxi in my garage. I don't see evidence of any "upgrading." Except for color, the sprues are identical.

So "upgraded" must mean the single new sprue with the .50 cal gun and mount. A few months ago, ITALERI issued kit #6351, its old 1/24 U.S. WWII Jeep with a newly-tooled .50 caliber gun. I checked the original 1/24 ITALERI Jeep in my garage, kit #721. It did NOT have a .50 cal, but did have the raised cloth top.

And here's the next kit in sequence, #6352 - a Toyota BJ-44 "technical" with the same .50 cal gun and mount. With the basic vehicle, ITALERI is on solid ground - armed Land Cruisers have been a favorite of grumpy insurgents around the world, especially the PLO in Lebanon. It would have been better to have a new 12.7mm DShK, of course, but that wasn't likely to happen.

Wishful thinking aside, it's a shame that ITALERI (as usual) was so stingy. We only get one can of .50 cal ammo, mounted directly to the gun itself. Assuming they still have the molds, it would have been really nice of ITALERI to throw in some goodies from the old ESCI Safari kit #3030 - especially the jerry cans. But that kit will probably come out later as a stand-alone release, like their re-issues of the old 1/24 ESCI Land Rover kits. It will be expensive.

SUGGESTIONS: if you're building a "technical," just cut the doors off. The users often did that anyway, for quick exits. Otherwise you have to deal with those baby-butt-smooth inner door panels. If you feel scratchy, the BJ-44 had vinyl inner door panels and photos are just a Google away.

You can find some 1/24 and 1/25 accessories to clutter up your BJ-44 in model car kits. e.g., several AMT 1/25 police car kits contained an M-16 rifle. I don't know of any 1/24 AK-47s but would love to. TAMIYA did a few WWII figures in plastic and metal many years ago, but of course those will only provide WWII U.S. or German equipment.

On eBay, you can find a huge variety of 1/24 and 1/25 jerry cans, oil drums, tools and other useful junk. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years and in Egypt for 4 years, so I feel fully qualified to build my own 1/24 scale bucket of falafel.

msmith144@socal.rr.com
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Looks like I'll need a 1/24 jeep trailer too.