Israeli Army Priest

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Israeli Army Priest

June 18th, 2012, 7:28 pm #1

I have a hankering to make a Priest, one of the few vehicles I have never made, but I would like to do it as an Israeli vehicle, now that I have the Bison Decals. My questions are how many suitable Priest kits are there or is it best to mix and match a few kits? Did the IDF add anything to the vehicle? Are there any good photo sites? Does anyone do good quality add ons etched brass etc.
Thanks in advance

Phill

June 19th, 2012, 12:33 am #2

You have one or two choices. In plastic, the only 1:72nd kit I know is the Italeri "quick build" (#7513). Simple to build, not a lot of detail, etc. The only other plastic kit I know is the ancient Matchbox kit (PK 089) which is in 1:76th scale (maybe a little larger, 1:74th??? scale). Again, very old (1970's) and very basic. But... both "look" like a Priest! (We do need a good M-7!!!!)

As for the resins, I'll other elaborate.

HTH

Loren
Loren Pike
IPMS#10921
USA

June 19th, 2012, 7:37 am #3

I have a hankering to make a Priest, one of the few vehicles I have never made, but I would like to do it as an Israeli vehicle, now that I have the Bison Decals. My questions are how many suitable Priest kits are there or is it best to mix and match a few kits? Did the IDF add anything to the vehicle? Are there any good photo sites? Does anyone do good quality add ons etched brass etc.
Thanks in advance

Phill
Hi Phil
I have close links with Milicast so this is probably not unbias. Milicast are in the process of bringing out a series of Priests (that doens't read well!) in 1/76. They are highly detailed with early or late versions plus command/kangaroo types. This link:

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.ph ... t=0&page=1

will show you the North African era version. As they are very new, this is the only one with a picture so far but Tom should add photographs of the others soon as he had them at Duxford this weekend.

Hope that helps (and apologies for the opening double negative).

Regards

Dan

www.dantaylormodelworks.com
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

June 19th, 2012, 8:45 am #4

Thanks in advance

Phill
First about the IDF Priest: If I understood everything I read about it (and sometime IDF stuff can be VERY confusing) the IDF priest had the M4 upper rear hull installed. Also they use the later style bogies and there are pictures with both long and short pulpits as per Bison instructions.

Second about available models: Nothing much to add to what Loren and Dan have said already. You do have the die-cast ones (Hobby Master and Altaya) although making changes on these will be very hard (the Altaya one has a metal hull for example). In all of the models mentioned you do have to change the upper rear hull or, what I was thinking of doing, put a lot of stowage and cover the whole area .

This is a project that I was thinking about so if you do go forward with it please keep us posted.

Replace .arroba. by the at symbol

June 19th, 2012, 11:35 am #5

Thanks in advance

Phill
Fujimi made a 1/76 Special World Armor Series No. 26
M7B1 105mm Gun Kit No.76059
Details look sharp and it comes with a motorcycle and 3 figures.

Cheers,
Thom

June 20th, 2012, 8:21 am #6

The Fujimi M7 shares the suspension and proportion issues common to all ex-Nitto M3 and M4 derivatives. The detail is quite good but it will take a lot of work and/kitbashing to correct the faults.

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

June 20th, 2012, 9:25 am #7

Thanks in advance

Phill
Thanks to you all, seems someone is missing an opportunity to produce a good 1/72 kit. Does anyone know if there are any good quality plans available as I think my option is to get the Italeri kit and kitbash with other kits to improve it.

Regards
Phill