Is Hunor open railway wagon good for German trains?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Is Hunor open railway wagon good for German trains?

August 11th, 2017, 4:01 am #1

Hi all,
I'm looking for a good base to build a Flakvierling wagon. I was thinking about the Hunor kit. Would it be a good starting point or should I look for something else?

Cheers
Piotr

August 11th, 2017, 8:56 am #2

Hello Piotr,
the Hunor model Wagons are for "Hungarn" railways...
I dont't know something about "Hungarn" Locomotive...
Which means that in a hand we have "Germans KriegsLoks" without wagons and in an other side, we have hungarn wagon without hungarn locs"
If somebody got a logical answer !!!!!
I have already ask Ace if maybe it will not a so bad idea for them to make some german wagon : open, closed (G10) ans why not some Ssyms for Panther or Tiger. (In my dreams (or my nightmares) I was thinking also about a traveller car !!!)
So, I suppose that the Hungarn railways used german Loc, so the Hobby boss locs did match....
I don't think that the opposite is true : the german industries could made a lot of wagon, and the german administration got a lot of wagon back from the occupied countries, that was not Hungary : It's means that they had to buy those wagons beside their friends...
at the end of war, when the Hungarn changes their mind and became allied from the Russian "big brother", the hungarn wagons became "Beute".... Was there in that time a lot of train with "Flak" aboard ????
but after all, I don't know if there is a lot of people who can say "This is an hungarn wagon, that don't fit !!..."
and in an other hand, you get an easier solution :
Why don't you go to the CMK offer "Wagon Linz carrier for Me 410" : ther are three differents "offener Gattungsbezirk"
which are german, for sure...
?seek=1152605388

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/afv/index.php ... 83&from=40
and for the price, I think it's about the same with the Hunor Model offer...

hope it helps !!
Pascal
Last edited by LEROUXPASCAL on August 12th, 2017, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2017, 10:29 am #3

Hi all,
I'm looking for a good base to build a Flakvierling wagon. I was thinking about the Hunor kit. Would it be a good starting point or should I look for something else?

Cheers
Piotr
Hi Piotr,
There are no pictorial evidences of Flakvierling mounted on Hungarian cars but this doesn't mean such combination is non-existent, everything is possible. Note though that the construction of both Hunor offerings (high boards and low boards open car) is typical for the MAV (Hungarian Railways) and you can't use them with DRG markings.
HTH
Cheers!

August 11th, 2017, 11:13 am #4

Hi all,

Cheers
Piotr
Thanks for all the info. My plan was to use a flatcar as a base and scratchbuild everything from the floor up. I think I'll need to find another route. Regarding Planet Models I recall people complaining about the quality of the kits with warped resin bits etc. If I'm going to spend time working on the wagon top I'd prefer the bottom to be stress free so the project doesn't frustrate me too much.

Cheers
Piotr

August 11th, 2017, 1:44 pm #5

"Regarding Planet Models I recall people complaining about the quality of the kits with warped resin bits etc." - I have built four of them, no warp at all...

August 11th, 2017, 2:17 pm #6

Hi all,

Cheers
Piotr
The lack of German rolling stock (that is affordable) has been a real bother. We have loads of Soviet Armored trains, and even a few German ones. Yet, while Trumpeter makes some nicely done German locos we have no freight or passenger wagons for them!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

So does anyone have access to scale plans for suitable WW2 era German rolling stock? If so, please share or direct me to them, as I might have a go at scratchbuilding them and use some OO train bits (wheels and such) to aid the process. I just don't see anyone making rolling stock for us...

And yes, I know there are some train manufacturers that produce some items but they are so darn expensive...I just want to build a German supply/hospital train that can be attacked on my wargames table....not too much to ask...but I would like the train to look right....

So any help in appreciated!

August 11th, 2017, 2:28 pm #7

Rob, have you tried searching for model railway forums on the web?? You might have to join one or two to post messages, but you may find the answers to your questions on one of those forums.

August 11th, 2017, 2:34 pm #8

Thanks for all the info. My plan was to use a flatcar as a base and scratchbuild everything from the floor up. I think I'll need to find another route. Regarding Planet Models I recall people complaining about the quality of the kits with warped resin bits etc. If I'm going to spend time working on the wagon top I'd prefer the bottom to be stress free so the project doesn't frustrate me too much.

Cheers
Piotr
firstable, I have two unbuilt wagons from CMK since years and they are not (yet !!) wraped or something...
If you want to built the "top" of the wagon, I wander why you don't built it from scratch in full .....
some links which can help you in that way :
http://web.hs-merseburg.de/~nosske/Epoc ... _gwix.html
go to the last page "Güterwagen der Kriegs-Bauarten"
"Your" wagon is the "Omm Linz", the first one...

http://www.modellbahnfrokler.de/archiv/100/
for that one, go to the "O Wagen" page. You can see all the drawing when you open the "Zu Vorschau Seite", but you can go also directly to the "Omm 32 Linz" page 77;78 and 79....
you can also open all the differents pages, there are a lot to see...

an other and last link by LZ Models :
http://www.lzmodels.com/135-German-Ommr-Flatbed44.html
don't forget to open the "assembly instructions on CD and download : HERE "
and here also, you can open the other page, those of the G10 Covered wagon for example (Which misses us considerably since the disappearance of the wagons from Mig...)

Pascal
Last edited by LEROUXPASCAL on August 11th, 2017, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2017, 2:37 pm #9

Rob, have you tried searching for model railway forums on the web?? You might have to join one or two to post messages, but you may find the answers to your questions on one of those forums.
Let's go two post up, and there are some links in my last message....
But I'm Ok to have some other more !!!!
Pascal

August 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm #10

The lack of German rolling stock (that is affordable) has been a real bother. We have loads of Soviet Armored trains, and even a few German ones. Yet, while Trumpeter makes some nicely done German locos we have no freight or passenger wagons for them!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

So does anyone have access to scale plans for suitable WW2 era German rolling stock? If so, please share or direct me to them, as I might have a go at scratchbuilding them and use some OO train bits (wheels and such) to aid the process. I just don't see anyone making rolling stock for us...

And yes, I know there are some train manufacturers that produce some items but they are so darn expensive...I just want to build a German supply/hospital train that can be attacked on my wargames table....not too much to ask...but I would like the train to look right....

So any help in appreciated!
Hi Rob,
you wrote "I would like the train to look right...." I hope it wouldn't sound offending but it was fun.
I wouldn't discuss the supply trains here, their length may vary but keep in mind usually they were even longer than the medical trains.
Now how the right medical train was looking.

The standard German medical train (Lazarettzug) consists of 37 cars 27 of which were "wards" and the rest 10 were offices, stores, living cars for the train and medical crews, kitchens, as well as one operations theatre and one apothecary, those 10 were evenly distributed between the ward cars.
To illustrate the things, here is a pic of one such standard German medical train belonging to Feldtransportabteilung Gruppe Ib, photographed in Maastricht area in 1940:

The ward cars were usually based on 4-axle passenger cars with average length of 15 - 20 m. The length of such car in 1/72 will be about 210 - 250 mm average. This means you'll need about 5 to 7 meters for those 27 cars alone, add a couple of meters for the locomotive and the rest 10 cars (which length may vary depending of the type) and you're in the picture.
I wish I had 10 meters to have a right looking medical train in 1/72...
Cheers!
Last edited by Ilian Filipov on August 11th, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.