'Into the Vally'

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

'Into the Vally'

February 26th, 2012, 7:41 pm #1

I regret to say there is a glaring error on page 23 regarding the cooling system.
Quoting: "(John Pearson described the strength of this effect as being like the fate of Oddjob in Goldfinger, being dragged out of a de-pressurized aircraft!)".
Of course it was poor old Auric Goldfinger hisself that got sucked out of the plane, Oddjob just got electrocuted in the vault.
If mistakes of this magnitude are going to creep into Mr. Taylor's publications, it certainly calls into question the veracity of his total scope of research!
Seriously Dick, great book! Get 'Warpaint 4' out ASAP and then you can start on a 'Matilda' for us!
Cheers, Dave

February 26th, 2012, 7:55 pm #2

Looking forward to this one very much.

Cheers,
Roy

February 26th, 2012, 9:12 pm #3

Looking forward to my copy, should arrive any day now.

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

February 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm #4

I regret to say there is a glaring error on page 23 regarding the cooling system.
Quoting: "(John Pearson described the strength of this effect as being like the fate of Oddjob in Goldfinger, being dragged out of a de-pressurized aircraft!)".
Of course it was poor old Auric Goldfinger hisself that got sucked out of the plane, Oddjob just got electrocuted in the vault.
If mistakes of this magnitude are going to creep into Mr. Taylor's publications, it certainly calls into question the veracity of his total scope of research!
Seriously Dick, great book! Get 'Warpaint 4' out ASAP and then you can start on a 'Matilda' for us!
Cheers, Dave
he just quoted a twerp! Myself, I would not believe a word that that idiot John Pearson said!!!
Book is very, very good (apart from bits from JP) and if you can ignore them, the rest of the book is an absolute treasure trove of information.

February 26th, 2012, 11:30 pm #5

thought that source was kind of suspect. To give 'JP' his due, he was probably too occupied restoring that (gorgeous) chunk of steel to pay proper attention to what really mattered, i.e. film trivia! Seriously, thank you John for allowing Dick access to your vehicle.
The only comment I can make (and nothing to do with JP) is the top left photo on p.166, the foremost 'Vally' I believe is Canadian, based on the 'Chevy' style headlamps.
Cheers, waiting for my 'Tilda' (preferably Swinton), Dave

February 27th, 2012, 1:21 am #6

Hi Dave,

The info re Oddjob is actually correct! In Ian Flemming's original book (remember they were books before movies!), Oddjob gets sucked out of the plane as quoted. Bond strangled Goldfinger to death on the aircraft's floor.

Cheers,

Chris Evenden
Australia
Last edited by ChrisEvenden on February 27th, 2012, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2012, 2:02 am #7

Cheers, Dave
I'm sorry, Guy's. I seem to have forgotten what book this is. Any one have a cover picture?

Gary

February 27th, 2012, 4:49 am #8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/836142 ... 836142136X

Paul (Tanks) James
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.l.james/
"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying
---
http://facebook.com/paul.l.james
"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is
unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying

February 27th, 2012, 9:05 am #9

Cheers, Dave
Regarding the rubber-tyred sprocket (bottom of page 33)? I presume the idler?

There have been lots of interesting observations that sent me looking for other references to find more. The additional armour (page 67) seems to be quite common in photos on the Russian Front. Was this fitted on arrival there, or was it a feature added at the factory?

Some brilliant photos, throughout the book. I know a fair number of things that I'll have to change on my AFV Club kit..... for example the deflector strips on the glacis are higher than in the kit.

Overall, an outstanding book, and a goldmine of information.

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

February 27th, 2012, 11:14 am #10

The first few Valentines had thin rubber tyres on the sprocket, one either side of the teeth but they quickly broke up and were changed in production by bolted on steel equivalent shapes. It was a simple rework to fit the steel parts in place of the rubber rings so I doubt if any sprocket tyres lasted for long. The Churchill had similar tyres on both the drive sprocket and the front toothed idler which appear to have been more successful.
I think the additional armour was fitted by the Russians but only on the basis of negative information in that it is not mentioned in the relevant parts lists, as it would be if it was factory fitted and also never seen any Valentines in British service with the extra armour.