International shipping from the US

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

International shipping from the US

May 8th, 2012, 8:12 am #1

Hi all

I've noticed several sellers on the Private resellers board stating 'CONUS only' on grounds of the apparently increased complexity of shipping overseas. In the UK, shipping overseas as opposed to domestically merely involves the attachment of a green customs label which states the contents and value (and which takes seconds to complete) and obviously the cost is higher but is this different in the US? Assuming that the buyer is wiling to pay the extra shipping cost, what exactly are the additional complexities involved? Is the delivery failure rate materially higher?

Obviously it's up to the seller with whom they do business but I'm just curious as to whether I'm missing something.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

May 8th, 2012, 8:40 am #2

I'm joking, obviously

I was informed by 1 guy, that for the postage costs, he had to take the kit and box it up, get it weighed, and then come back to his PC and tell me the shipping costs.This was a big hoohah apparently.

Now I know its OK for me, as I am pretty fit, so its not too much of an issue to walk down to my local PO, get a quote and mosey on back to my PC and type a few numbers out, but I guess, for some, its just way too much hassle.
I mean they may have to drive and go through queues and stuff.

I have no idea, if when sending within the US, the processes are different or more of a magical experience.

Jon

May 8th, 2012, 9:55 am #3

Hi all

I've noticed several sellers on the Private resellers board stating 'CONUS only' on grounds of the apparently increased complexity of shipping overseas. In the UK, shipping overseas as opposed to domestically merely involves the attachment of a green customs label which states the contents and value (and which takes seconds to complete) and obviously the cost is higher but is this different in the US? Assuming that the buyer is wiling to pay the extra shipping cost, what exactly are the additional complexities involved? Is the delivery failure rate materially higher?

Obviously it's up to the seller with whom they do business but I'm just curious as to whether I'm missing something.

Rob
Hi,

I confess I haven't checked recently but the complexity of the USPS used to have me baffled !

Sometimes it seemed cheaper to have something sent Airmail rather than Surface because of the weight banding/size restrictions.

I agree in the UK - I just weigh the item - check the Royal Mail site & I know the postage - Customs stickers are now white - slap one on & it's off to the Post Office to see if they agree - though I could buy online.

Probably it's simply logistics - it's rare in the UK that you have much of a journey to a Post Office.

Maybe you should start a campaign to strike back - EU ONLY !

Clive

May 8th, 2012, 11:04 am #4

- For our North American cousins - queues are a traditional British time wasting custom where a lot of people form a line and wait in turn for a usually long time to spend money with some company or other in exchange for consumable goods - apparently this particular custom died out in the USA a long time ago when firms over there decided that it was better to provide consumers with well staffed counters where they could spend their money faster.

May 8th, 2012, 11:16 am #5

"...apparently this particular custom died out in the USA a long time ago when firms over there decided that it was better to provide consumers with well staffed counters..."

Apparently you haven't been to a US Post Office. The USPS is a master at understaffing or just not being in a hurry. It seems no matter how many clerks are there, there is always a line out the door that never moves.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

May 8th, 2012, 11:25 am #6

Hi all

Rob
postage is high to sell oversea's compared to here in the US..it's high enough in the US don't get me wrong..plus the USPS offers "tracking/deleivery confirmation" for deliveries with the US and it's territories, which allows me to know the buyer received the package...call it peace of mind.

May 8th, 2012, 11:25 am #7

Hi all

Rob
US post offices have notoriously long lines. Shipping overseas requires a trip to the post office to have the parcel weighed and postage determined, a trip home to inform the buyer of shipping costs (hoping they don't balk at the cost and cancel the deal), then a return trip to mail the package with another wait in line. The post office uses two different customs forms based on the size, weight, position of the planet Mars and disposition of the clerk. It always seems like whichever one you grab and fill out, they want the other one instead.

For domestic packages, the US post office provides several sizes of flat rate boxes for free with the slogan "if it fits, it ships." So the seller already has an idea of the cost of shipping because of the size of the flat rate box and each box has a set postage. You can even buy postage online and have the boxes picked up at your work or home. You can order empty boxes online and have them delivered to your door for free.

Bottom line, most may think it is just easier, some may prefer the peace of mind with respect to tracking parcels that stateside transactions have. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the reasons, just my suspicions about why some may not want to ship overseas.

The term CONUS also excludes two states, Alaska (even though it is a continental state) and Hawaii as well as US personnel stationed overseas like Germany or Korea.

I know back in the day, when rates were much cheaper, if you had a $20 kit you didn't want and someone had a $20 you wanted in exchange, all it took was a $3 flat rate box and you were both happy. But if you conducted that same transaction with someone in Europe, it cost you $15 to mail that same $20 kit. At that rate it was easier to just go to the store and buy one yourself. It would cost you $5 more, but you'd have two kits instead of one.

RobG
RobG

May 8th, 2012, 11:29 am #8

Hi all

Rob
Well a couple of reasons. People don't want to bother (i.e. lazy) or they don't want the hassle of the item possibly getting lost being shipped outside the country. I've never lost anything and I've shipped several hundread packages over the years to some far flung countries so that's not really a good excuse to me. I'll go with lazy. Sorry if that offends anyone but the truth often does. If you have shipped and had an item go missing then tell the buyer they have to pay for tracking. if they really want the item your offering they will pay it.

Here in Canada we have the online weigh and measure option as well to get postage costs. Of course half the time the online price quoted is wrong and then you either end up having to charge more or in a good case less. If you want insurance or tracking the price can almost double up as well.

Running off to the Post office in a rural area isn't always easy or an option either. Our posties work from 9am to 5:15pm. So if you work and commute like I do you never get to the post office during the week. Saturdays is my day for posting items as they are open in the rural areas from 9;15am to noon. My Post office is a 10 minute drive away so not too bad and I can fit it in. Alot of people forget how big Canada is and how far between towns and villages it is. Unlike the USA or Britain we don't have a Post Office in every town or village. Generally we use central collection points or 1 post office to cover about 100 square miles in the country.

The biggest complaint I receive is the people who whine that the item doesn't show up three days after they pay for it, generally those buying something on Epay. Even after you tell them it will be a few days before you get to the Post Office.

Ah well in the end it's cheaper to order from Hong Kong or China and it generally shows up faster. Sad isn't it, no wonder our economies are in the dumps when someone 6000 miles away can deliver a product faster than someone 500 miles away. Cheaper than the gas it would take to run into the big city to buy the same thing.

Oh and just a side note on shipping with Ebay now. Last year they actually started charging you a percentage of the shipping cost you charge the customer. If you charge the customer $7.00 to ship an item as shown in your listing you end up paying Epay $1.70 or so as well. Nice they charge you for shipping the item. I found this out last week after selling some items. I guess from now on I'll use Kijiji to sell my non modelling related stuff.

May 8th, 2012, 12:13 pm #9

I think they where promoted to do that with people selling $5 items and charging $25 in shipping to get around getting banged for fees by Ebay.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

May 8th, 2012, 12:19 pm #10

Well a couple of reasons. People don't want to bother (i.e. lazy) or they don't want the hassle of the item possibly getting lost being shipped outside the country. I've never lost anything and I've shipped several hundread packages over the years to some far flung countries so that's not really a good excuse to me. I'll go with lazy. Sorry if that offends anyone but the truth often does. If you have shipped and had an item go missing then tell the buyer they have to pay for tracking. if they really want the item your offering they will pay it.

Here in Canada we have the online weigh and measure option as well to get postage costs. Of course half the time the online price quoted is wrong and then you either end up having to charge more or in a good case less. If you want insurance or tracking the price can almost double up as well.

Running off to the Post office in a rural area isn't always easy or an option either. Our posties work from 9am to 5:15pm. So if you work and commute like I do you never get to the post office during the week. Saturdays is my day for posting items as they are open in the rural areas from 9;15am to noon. My Post office is a 10 minute drive away so not too bad and I can fit it in. Alot of people forget how big Canada is and how far between towns and villages it is. Unlike the USA or Britain we don't have a Post Office in every town or village. Generally we use central collection points or 1 post office to cover about 100 square miles in the country.

The biggest complaint I receive is the people who whine that the item doesn't show up three days after they pay for it, generally those buying something on Epay. Even after you tell them it will be a few days before you get to the Post Office.

Ah well in the end it's cheaper to order from Hong Kong or China and it generally shows up faster. Sad isn't it, no wonder our economies are in the dumps when someone 6000 miles away can deliver a product faster than someone 500 miles away. Cheaper than the gas it would take to run into the big city to buy the same thing.

Oh and just a side note on shipping with Ebay now. Last year they actually started charging you a percentage of the shipping cost you charge the customer. If you charge the customer $7.00 to ship an item as shown in your listing you end up paying Epay $1.70 or so as well. Nice they charge you for shipping the item. I found this out last week after selling some items. I guess from now on I'll use Kijiji to sell my non modelling related stuff.
"Ah well in the end it's cheaper to order from Hong Kong or China and it generally shows up faster. Sad isn't it, no wonder our economies are in the dumps when someone 6000 miles away can deliver a product faster than someone 500 miles away"

They don't have to be 500 miles away......sadly, in the UK I generally find that they are quicker & cheaper than those under 50 miles away !

At least the annoying habit of the Post Offices in always quoting you the maximum sending price although cheaper options are available disappears with the "new" rates.

Clive

Last edited by blackbartmodels on May 8th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.