interior of binocular driver's vision device?

February 25th, 2013, 11:16 am #1

I've noticed that a lot of early panzers and StuGs had two small holes drilled into the front plate for what would be a driver's vision device. Does anyone have any info or photos as to what's on the interior of these holes? I've had a look on David Byrden's site as I know the early Tiger I had these but couldn't find anything that showed this particular detail.

Any help gratefully received as this will be part of my current build, which is a StuIG 33B with scratchbuilt interior details to complement the CMK driver's compartment and nicely detailed gun that Dragon supplied.

Andy

Photo found. But is it complete?

February 26th, 2013, 10:39 am #2

Well I found a photo of a StuG III preserved in Norway and it has the two holes above the driver's vision block and there's a photo of the interior. However, it looks like two holes on the inside with nothing connected to them. Is this right or is something missing?

you have access to Spielbergers book Sturmgeschütze

February 26th, 2013, 9:53 pm #3

I've noticed that a lot of early panzers and StuGs had two small holes drilled into the front plate for what would be a driver's vision device. Does anyone have any info or photos as to what's on the interior of these holes? I've had a look on David Byrden's site as I know the early Tiger I had these but couldn't find anything that showed this particular detail.

Any help gratefully received as this will be part of my current build, which is a StuIG 33B with scratchbuilt interior details to complement the CMK driver's compartment and nicely detailed gun that Dragon supplied.

Andy
Hi Andrew
There are 2 pics of KFF 2 (Kraftfahrerfernrohr) + function drawings in Spielberger book. If you can wait some days I can help you or you can find it in your area.
this device was dropped shortly after Stug 3G production start so search for older stugs or early Tiger

Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 9/10th march 2013
www.ipms.at

Thanks Robert

February 27th, 2013, 8:29 pm #4

Very useful information and thank you for the email. I knew there was something missing and now I can add this detail to my StuIG 33B.

Alas I don't have the Spielberger book, is there anything in it on the StuIG?

Best regards

Andy

sIG 33 inside pics

February 28th, 2013, 9:02 am #5

none in Spielberger
"Achtung Panzer #5" has some inside pics in color and troicas "Sturmtiger and Sturmpanzer.." has 3 BW pics.
Both books are to fragile for scanning. may be you can find pics online from Kubinkas sIG
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 9/10th march 2013
www.ipms.at

sIG interior pics

February 28th, 2013, 9:41 am #6

Once again I am indebted to you Robert for the information on references. I don't have Achtung Panzer #5 but I can get it from HLJ, however before I go ahead and order it, are the interior photos taken of the Kubinka example or are they on wartime examples? The reason I ask is that I don't think the Kubinka example is complete as there doesn't appear to be any ammunition storage. Now if there aren't any photos of this then I'll simply scratchbuild something based on the StuPa IV stowage but if I can base it on an example then that would of course be better.

kubinka siG

February 28th, 2013, 9:58 am #7

gun breech, mg mount, backdoor, not more in achtung pz
rob

www.ipms.at

Guesswork it is then!

February 28th, 2013, 10:37 am #8

Thank you, you've saved me from spending £50+ on a reference. If I see it cheap enough in the future I'll pick it up but not just yet. So for this build, it looks like it's going to be logical deduction or just plain guesswork with the ammo storage :D

This may help...

February 28th, 2013, 11:36 am #9

Andy
The Bovington Tiger has only the welded base plate;

The APG Tiger has - or had - the sliding holder;

This diagram shows the Kff2 installed in another type of Panzer. What's different, I do not know.

David

Thanks David

February 28th, 2013, 12:30 pm #10

The technical drawing is especially useful as I can use that to produce something that is a close approximation of the real thing.