Info Needed On The Sdkfz 222 Interior

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Info Needed On The Sdkfz 222 Interior

May 5th, 2012, 10:41 pm #1

I just got the Panzer Tracts No-13-1.

It was a great help with some fine drawings. But it also added more to the confusion.

The issue is with the turret seats. Tamiya's seats look like the plastic seats from the 50's . Those bright orange plastic lounge ones.

The book's picture of the seats are close to the Tamiya's seats although lower backs.The pics seat look kind of like those black bar seats that we all had back in the 70's covered with naugahyde.

I have also seen the commander seat looking like the bar chair and the gunners looking like a bar stool !!!!

The Panzer tracts dose not show this type of seat . Can anybody shed any like on these seats ?

Thanks.

Here is the small gunners bar stool with a triangular back rest attached to the turret ring to the right. To the left is the commander's seat.

[/IMG]

May 6th, 2012, 8:37 am #2

NUTS and BOLTS VOL4 and maybe you find many pics of interrior.... in page 18 -19 i thought.

i hope to help you a little

May 6th, 2012, 9:31 am #3

It was a great help with some fine drawings. But it also added more to the confusion.

The issue is with the turret seats. Tamiya's seats look like the plastic seats from the 50's . Those bright orange plastic lounge ones.

The book's picture of the seats are close to the Tamiya's seats although lower backs.The pics seat look kind of like those black bar seats that we all had back in the 70's covered with naugahyde.

I have also seen the commander seat looking like the bar chair and the gunners looking like a bar stool !!!!

The Panzer tracts dose not show this type of seat . Can anybody shed any like on these seats ?

Thanks.

Here is the small gunners bar stool with a triangular back rest attached to the turret ring to the right. To the left is the commander's seat.

[/IMG]
The picture on Panzertracts 13-1 shows the Sockellafette for the 2cm/Kwk30 as fitted on Sdkfz 222 of 1th-3 rd production run, with two seats with backrest as depicted in the Tamiya kit.
Your photo shows a Sdkfz 222 of the 5th production run with the later "Sockellafette mit Knüppelsteuerung", as used for the 2cm/KwK38 and from 3rd and 4th production run on. There have been the one seat with backrest and one "bar" seat fitted. So the Tamiya seats are wrong for their Sdkfz 222 version.
You find this (photo)seat configuration in the Tristar and Hobby Boss kit.

I am collecting since months infos to build technically correct Sdkfz 221/222/223, because none of the existing kits is really (technically) exact.
Strange, how many mistakes can be made from model manufacturerer side, even the existing photos would advise the differences of the different productions runs, beside the additional excellent informations now given by the new panzer tracts issue 13-1

What I am be unable to catch is the "Nuts and bolts" issue of the Sdkfz 222/223. If anyone here could provide me with this interior pictures of this issue, I would say many thanks for this support.
Last edited by trex10 on May 6th, 2012, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 9:59 am #4

Thanks.

[/IMG]
Hi Matthew,

I have no idea about the loaders seat in the restored Sd.Kfz.222 the bar stool part looks simplistic but the triangular backrest welded to the turret base suggests that this was an original feature perhaps a modification.

Since it is seldom that one sees interior pictures of Sd.Kfz.222 the only other source is when these 2cm Sockellafette were used by the Festungstruppen in fixed fortifications. This occurred after the Sd.Kfz.222 when out of production. I recommend that you go online to the Axis History Forum (axishistory.com). Look at Fortifications & Artillery topic where this type of equipment has discussed at length by the fortification experts under the heading 2 cm K.w.K. 30/38 Flak. There are several photos at least two of which show this gun mount with two bucket seats the same as shown in the excellent Panzer Tracts No.13-1

Fred

May 6th, 2012, 12:22 pm #5

Thanks.

[/IMG]
I have been looking for the Nuts and Bolts 222/223 book now for a few years with no luck.

Would any of you gentlemen would so kind to post pics of the sockellafette ?

I want to make the Sdkfz 222 Ausf A-4 the version with the tall turret basket. Would that one have the twin seats like the Tamiya or the seats like the stool/chair configuration ?

Thanks to all for your input so far !!!

May 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm #6

Hi Matthew,

It is definitly worth continuing your search for N&B No.4 as it shows some interior pictures taken of the Kubinka exhibit - before it was restored! But this N&B will not resolve your questions as the left side seat was missing at the time the photos were taken. Only the bracket on turret base has survived the triangular seat/backrest is missing.

I think in Toadman's Pictures I have seen a picture of this triangular seat/backrest turned to horizontal so that the crew member could sit at a higher level. This in no way would obstruct the use of a bucket seat on the sockel itself.

Remembered that both the Kubinka exhibit and the restored one at the Mititary Vehicle Technology Foundation in California are Ausf.B

Fred

May 6th, 2012, 7:52 pm #7

Thanks.

[/IMG]
Message deleted. nt
Last edited by Stephen Tegner on May 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm #8

What variant 222 did this come out of ?

Also what is the horn on top ? Was that a bumper when the main gun was raised it pushed up the turret basket ?

Thanks for sharing !!!

May 6th, 2012, 9:24 pm #9

It's a pleasure Matthew. Sorry I'm not a German armour nut so don't know all that much about the details. I only had the good sense to realise it was rare to come across and took these few pics. It is from a private collector and I'm not sure if he will object to them being posted here, so the less said the better. If he is reading this and objects I'm sure he'll let me know and I'll remove them.

All the best
Steve

May 6th, 2012, 10:14 pm #10

Thanks.

[/IMG]
The seats of Tamiya is real. The model of your reference is one restaured, not original.
The real seats can you seen here:

If you need more data I have almost 2000 pictures of sd kfz 222 and a lot of interior mount. All in B/W of ww2, and others of restaured models but only how to reference to compared.

cheers.

PD: This is my email: maultier.desgin@gmail.com
Last edited by maultier on May 6th, 2012, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.