if you use baking soda for snow, does it yellow over time?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

if you use baking soda for snow, does it yellow over time?

October 20th, 2006, 4:13 am #1

I have used baking soda for some older dios and have also used micro balls since I have been told baking soda yellows over time. the dios I have with baking soda seem fine, so I dont know if one day Ill wake up and have "yellow snow" on my russian front dio.

any thoughts guys?

dave

October 20th, 2006, 5:42 am #2

I have lived in the south eastern US (AL, GA, and FLA) for a good part of my modeling carreer. It is very humid and hot for a good part of the year. Also, lots of bugs. With time, I have had baking soda either yellow or be eaten by said bugs. I stay away from all foodstuffs and stick to Micro Balloons for my snowy scenes.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!
<a href=http://www.armorama.com/modules/photopo ... eavyArty's Showcase</a>
HeavyArty's Showcase II
HeavyArty's Showcase III

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

October 20th, 2006, 3:38 pm #3

I have used baking soda for some older dios and have also used micro balls since I have been told baking soda yellows over time. the dios I have with baking soda seem fine, so I dont know if one day Ill wake up and have "yellow snow" on my russian front dio.

any thoughts guys?

dave
I live in Oregon, and my snow has stayed white, except for the dust! I spray a very light mist of hairspray to "set" the snow...perhaps this helps also keep it white?

Rick

October 24th, 2006, 2:44 pm #4

any thoughts guys?

dave
I have had the displeasure of discovering something on my models in the past that I should have know from the start. In areas of moderate to high humidity swings over the seasons, baking soda will give up and take in water vapor. When giving up water in dryer times, water can actually weep from the baking soda "rust" or "snow". In the case of a rusted muffler, it can spoil your pastel or pigment work. I tend to avoid using baking soda.

Mike Baskette