IDF Priest Missing 105mm Gun???

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

IDF Priest Missing 105mm Gun???

June 28th, 2012, 8:03 pm #1

OK eagle eyes!!!! That means anyone that can make an assement of this picture! After posting this picture for a friend I got to looking at it a little more and realized I cannot see the barrel on the centered Priest! Can anyone??

June 28th, 2012, 8:50 pm #2

During WW2 there was Kangaroos APC, basicaly Priest without gun and gun mount, for soldier transporting.
But no idea about the use by IDF

pascal bausset

June 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm #3

It all kinda of started when I got Tank Battles of the Middle East Wars. There is a photo of what is listed as two Priests manouvering in the desert. However, one of them does not appear to have any gun in it and have always wondered if the IDF got Kangaroos or made them when the barrels went bad, or used gunless priests as ammo carriers.
Last edited by Warfrost on June 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 9:59 pm #4

Hi both

You'd think at that angle the barrel would be visible. Same for the one in the Mid East wars book.
I wouldn't be surprised if they converted some of their own "defrocked" priests - think it would be a nice project, though better if some more IDF figures were available to fill it.

Mark - have you built an IDF Priest? I wouldn't mind having a go but know little about Priest evolution. Would it be a simple case of a suspension change on one of the Dragon kits? Also I saw your IDF Monster over on idf-modelling. Very nice job !

Cheers
Owen

June 29th, 2012, 1:13 am #5

I haven't started because all the IDF priest have the M4A1 Engine Deck. All kits have the M4A2 style deck. Means a lot of cutting that I am not yet motivated enough to attempt. The rest of the IDF stuff can be easily scratched. I know Gary Owsley did one but I NEVER got to see pictures of it! Thanks for the Monster compliment! It is coming along. "If" I ever do another one, I will use the 6548 kit and scratchbuild all the Verlindin items. They couldn't even get the lower arms on correctly! Thanks goodness for all the friends that sent me pictures or directed me to good walkarounds!

June 29th, 2012, 1:56 am #6

They were either M4s or M4A3s . . . Unless someone got to them before the IDF.

KL

June 29th, 2012, 2:08 am #7

I made a mistake. Regardless of the original "Make" of the Priest, This is how the engine deck has to end up along with the M4A1 rear lower hull plate.

Last edited by Warfrost on June 29th, 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2012, 5:27 am #8

I haven't started because all the IDF priest have the M4A1 Engine Deck. All kits have the M4A2 style deck. Means a lot of cutting that I am not yet motivated enough to attempt. The rest of the IDF stuff can be easily scratched. I know Gary Owsley did one but I NEVER got to see pictures of it! Thanks for the Monster compliment! It is coming along. "If" I ever do another one, I will use the 6548 kit and scratchbuild all the Verlindin items. They couldn't even get the lower arms on correctly! Thanks goodness for all the friends that sent me pictures or directed me to good walkarounds!
All you had to do was Google it and the first link would take you here: http://kcamps.org/gallery3/GaryO/m7

June 29th, 2012, 11:49 am #9

Gary,
Thanks!!! I searched here and over at IDF forums and both the links were old! Very nice build! Whose base kit did you hack up?

June 29th, 2012, 1:23 pm #10

I made a mistake. Regardless of the original "Make" of the Priest, This is how the engine deck has to end up along with the M4A1 rear lower hull plate.

If so would you mind sharing them with me?
Karl.