identification?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

identification?

March 17th, 2004, 2:32 pm #1

German?

March 17th, 2004, 3:39 pm #2

Its super cool whatever it is.

-Vil.

Jorit Wintjes
Jorit Wintjes

March 17th, 2004, 3:40 pm #3

German?
I don't think it's a German BAK, these had pedestal-mounted guns. The gun also doesn't look that German to me.

Rather, it looks a bit like a mockup - how is that turret thing supposed to clear the wheels when traversing, or am I missing something?

Very interesting picture, though; thanks for posting it.

Jorit

Daniel Munoz
Daniel Munoz

March 17th, 2004, 4:12 pm #4

German?
Here's two related French postcards I found:

The legend in French say:
heavy machinegun car (German) against airplanes and airships.

Same photograph, but with a text:
Krupp gun - enclosed car.
literally "enclosed car", but it should translate I guess "armoured car"

Cheers.
Daniel
http://www.nutsnbits.com

March 17th, 2004, 4:56 pm #5

Photograph illustrates a prewar motorised anti-balloon concept. Shown is the Daimler BAK platform truck of 1908. Vehicle consisted of an all-armoured chassis mounting a turreted newly developed 7,7cm L30 kanone.
This was Daimler's first attempt at building a platform vehicle in response to Ehrhardt's venture of 1906. As the two companies continued their exploration, new and improved versions continued to appear right up to the war. The final versions were their respective 1914 models which were adapted by the Imperial Army.

WW1NUT
WW1NUT

March 18th, 2004, 2:14 am #6

German?
Gentlemen,
This is indeed a German attempt to build a armoured anti aircraft vehicle. this vehicle is the 7.7cm L/27 Scockelflak AA. 2 versions were built in 1912 by both Rheinmetall and Krupp, both versions looked cosmetically the same. They were both used at the beginning stages of WWI.
WW1NUT

Tim Rigsby ww1nut
Tim Rigsby ww1nut

March 18th, 2004, 2:22 am #7

Gentlemen,
This is indeed a German attempt to build a armoured anti aircraft vehicle. this vehicle is the 7.7cm L/27 Scockelflak AA. 2 versions were built in 1912 by both Rheinmetall and Krupp, both versions looked cosmetically the same. They were both used at the beginning stages of WWI.
TIM RIGSBY WW1NUT

March 18th, 2004, 3:04 am #8

Begging to differ with you, Mr. Nut. The vehicle pictured is not a 1912 model. Only Rheinmetall introduced a new prototype in 1912, and being unarmoured, it looked nothing like the subject photo. After their 1911 vehicle, Daimler's 1913 prototype was their last entry, and it became the 1914 Platform Truck adapted by the army. The Rheinmetall version of the same year was purposely designed to similar characteristics of the Daimler vehicle. Incidently, the term FLAK was not in use until mid-1916. At that time a massive expansion of aerial defense prompted the Prussian War Ministry to order the designation Anti-Balloon Cannon(BAK)dropped in favor of this new term.

March 18th, 2004, 12:45 pm #9

Tim Rigsby WW1nut
Tim Rigsby WW1nut

March 18th, 2004, 6:31 pm #10

Begging to differ with you, Mr. Nut. The vehicle pictured is not a 1912 model. Only Rheinmetall introduced a new prototype in 1912, and being unarmoured, it looked nothing like the subject photo. After their 1911 vehicle, Daimler's 1913 prototype was their last entry, and it became the 1914 Platform Truck adapted by the army. The Rheinmetall version of the same year was purposely designed to similar characteristics of the Daimler vehicle. Incidently, the term FLAK was not in use until mid-1916. At that time a massive expansion of aerial defense prompted the Prussian War Ministry to order the designation Anti-Balloon Cannon(BAK)dropped in favor of this new term.
Emil,sorry to have ruffeld your feathers, anyone can make a mistake,I went back and check my information, I was a bit hasty in my answer. I take my hat off to you, you are correct.And by the way its not Mr Nut.
Have a Nice Day
Tim Rigsby WW1NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!