Ideas for 1/35th corrugated iron & cinder blocks

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Ideas for 1/35th corrugated iron & cinder blocks

Nick Moore
Nick Moore

February 4th, 2002, 4:42 am #1

Hi all

Can anyone suggest how corrugated iron and/or cinder blocks can be created from scratch in 1/35th or failing that do any manufacturers make something like this for sale?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Robert Skipper
Robert Skipper

February 5th, 2002, 1:01 am #2

For the corregated iron you have several options.
First, Campbell and Company is a model railroad structure company that utilizes corregated metal in quite a few of their kits. The car barn has very large sheets for the roof which you can cut up.
Plastruct now makes corregated styrene. You can also burnish foil over either of the first two, and etch it with acid the weather/rust it out.
For cinder blocks, haven't attmpted single ones. but for whole walls I made a flat form from styrene, poured plaster of Paris into it, then scribed the lines when dry. You can then break it into demolished walls if you like. You can even include windows in your form tosave time. A very simple technique, and takes literally just minutes to do.
The plaster of Paris was 8 pounds for $4.97 at Hobby Lobby. (and an addional 1/3 off) Good value plus no one else will have the same buildings.
Hmmm... Wonder if you're working on the same thing Iam?

Nick Moore
Nick Moore

February 5th, 2002, 2:19 am #3

Thanks for that advice - much appreciated. I want to do a dirty grubby little Mogadishu street corner (or two). Not a big diorama - maybe 6 or 7 figs, no vehicles. And yours?

Robert Skipper
Robert Skipper

February 5th, 2002, 5:27 am #4

The Mog it is. Two dios, one of each crash site.
First is coming along nicely, of Durant's crashed bird, with a burnt out 1/32 sedan and some crushed tin shacks. Modified DML Delta, Marine, and pilot figuresone helping Durant out while other provides cover fire. Not exactly accurate, as they both carried him, but close enough.
Second crash site is only in planning stage although I've got the second bird and what will be a green VW Bug, and some broken wall bits.
These Black Hawk kits need a lot of interior work, and while the Cobra set is nice,it doesn't go nearly far enough.
I've managed to at least solveall of the fit and gap problems with .005 styrene panels embossed with rivets. Thank God we have a Black Hawk unit supporting us, or it'd be a waste of time even trying...

Nick Moore
Nick Moore

February 5th, 2002, 7:10 am #5

That is going to look goooood. I'm working with figures only and havn't decided whether to try and actually depict a moment from the action in terms of the actual people or just make it kind of Ranger 'generic'. Good luck with your dio anyway - hope you post photos.

Pete Schmidt
Pete Schmidt

February 10th, 2002, 9:24 pm #6

Hi all

Can anyone suggest how corrugated iron and/or cinder blocks can be created from scratch in 1/35th or failing that do any manufacturers make something like this for sale?

Thanks in advance

Nick
You can buy 1/35 scale cinderblocks from Hansa Systems.
contact Pete at bzpcan2@erols.com

Ted Wells
Ted Wells

February 10th, 2002, 9:44 pm #7

The Mog it is. Two dios, one of each crash site.
First is coming along nicely, of Durant's crashed bird, with a burnt out 1/32 sedan and some crushed tin shacks. Modified DML Delta, Marine, and pilot figuresone helping Durant out while other provides cover fire. Not exactly accurate, as they both carried him, but close enough.
Second crash site is only in planning stage although I've got the second bird and what will be a green VW Bug, and some broken wall bits.
These Black Hawk kits need a lot of interior work, and while the Cobra set is nice,it doesn't go nearly far enough.
I've managed to at least solveall of the fit and gap problems with .005 styrene panels embossed with rivets. Thank God we have a Black Hawk unit supporting us, or it'd be a waste of time even trying...
Any in-progress shots? I am very interested in seeing this!

Nick Moore
Nick Moore

February 11th, 2002, 1:00 am #8

You can buy 1/35 scale cinderblocks from Hansa Systems.
contact Pete at bzpcan2@erols.com
n/t

Nick Moore
Nick Moore

February 11th, 2002, 1:09 am #9

Any in-progress shots? I am very interested in seeing this!
Ted, I'm assuming you're after photos of Robert's work cos those two dioramas sound pretty full on! I'll definitely photo my little one when its done as its going to a guy who lives at the other end of the country and it may be a long time before I see it again. By all accounts it seems there is a lot of BHD work going on out there. Regs Nick.