IBG Australian CMP wireless truck colours.

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

IBG Australian CMP wireless truck colours.

March 3rd, 2011, 10:21 pm #1

I took a look at the instruction sheet for the 1/72 IBG wireless truck on Saturday. The boxart has the colours too light which suggest desert use, which it wasn't but the sheet inside has the correct pattern for the type. The suggested Humbrol colours are not correct for this either as this was an Australian based scheme of 1942. The sheet calls for H118 as the lighter basic colour when it should be ASW shade 'W' Light Earth which may be closely made with 2 pts each H83 and H84 + 1 of white. The darker pattern is ASW 'J' Khaki Green, mix 5 x H150 + 1 x H100 not 155 which is too brown and not green enough by far.

March 3rd, 2011, 10:26 pm #2

I have a question about this truck, it was used in the western desert campaign? by the british or Australian? or other country? I'm totally lost.
Sorry for my english.

Saludos
Guillermo

March 4th, 2011, 12:32 am #3

I took a look at the instruction sheet for the 1/72 IBG wireless truck on Saturday. The boxart has the colours too light which suggest desert use, which it wasn't but the sheet inside has the correct pattern for the type. The suggested Humbrol colours are not correct for this either as this was an Australian based scheme of 1942. The sheet calls for H118 as the lighter basic colour when it should be ASW shade 'W' Light Earth which may be closely made with 2 pts each H83 and H84 + 1 of white. The darker pattern is ASW 'J' Khaki Green, mix 5 x H150 + 1 x H100 not 155 which is too brown and not green enough by far.
I'd just pulled it out of the stash and was comptemplating a visit to the RASigs Museum here to have a look over the real one.

March 4th, 2011, 2:49 am #4

Haydn, there is another one at Bandiana but I forgot to photograph here on my last Visit. Bandiana also appears to have got the lions share of the RAA Musuem for the moment although the Iraqi 155 is at Pucka in the RAAC Museum.
Cheers
Al

March 4th, 2011, 10:55 am #5

I have a question about this truck, it was used in the western desert campaign? by the british or Australian? or other country? I'm totally lost.
Sorry for my english.

Saludos
Guillermo
As far as my resources indicate these vehicles were only used in Australia in this scheme then later in New Guinea where they were overall ASW'J' green. The AIF served mainly in Palestine, Syria and Trans-Jordan during 1940-41 with earlier 1939-40 type vehicles. The AIF were withdrawn from the M.E. after the attack on Pearl Harbour in early 1942 and these type of vehicles with the No.13 cab did not go into service until mid 1942. Please note that in regards to various No.13 cab/chassis range exactly the same colours and pattern were applied to all of the different body types. In 1943 a new three coloured scheme replaced this scheme.

March 4th, 2011, 2:24 pm #6

Mike many thanks for your advice and help. Will be painted in the colour suggested.

Saludos
Guillermo

March 5th, 2011, 11:06 am #7

As far as my resources indicate these vehicles were only used in Australia in this scheme then later in New Guinea where they were overall ASW'J' green. The AIF served mainly in Palestine, Syria and Trans-Jordan during 1940-41 with earlier 1939-40 type vehicles. The AIF were withdrawn from the M.E. after the attack on Pearl Harbour in early 1942 and these type of vehicles with the No.13 cab did not go into service until mid 1942. Please note that in regards to various No.13 cab/chassis range exactly the same colours and pattern were applied to all of the different body types. In 1943 a new three coloured scheme replaced this scheme.
fought in Greece, Crete and Tobruk as well as Syria. 6th and 7th Divisions returned home in mid-1942 but the 9th Division fought at both El Alamein battles and returned in 1943 so it may have had No 13 cab trucks. The 8th Division was lost at Singapore.

The WW1 1st AIF was made up of 1st - 5th Divisions and Light Horse Regiments in the Middle East.

A man can't have too much info' on the Spanish Civil War

March 7th, 2011, 1:18 am #8

Haydn, there is another one at Bandiana but I forgot to photograph here on my last Visit. Bandiana also appears to have got the lions share of the RAA Musuem for the moment although the Iraqi 155 is at Pucka in the RAAC Museum.
Cheers
Al
Should be OOB - unless something glaring shows up

cheers

March 7th, 2011, 8:59 pm #9

I have checked the quoted colour mix that I gave for SAW 'J' Light earth. It is too light and yellow. I am currently running some new mix tests,and the results will be posted when I have a good and simple match or as near as possible. Sorry if that has messed up anyone. Whilst I appreciate that Australian units did serve In M.E. during 1942 the scheme in question was not used there, the vehicles carried the usual M.E. colours and patterns.

March 9th, 2011, 10:05 pm #10

Thanks Mike, this is the answer to my question.

Saludos
Guillermo