I still can't weather undercarriages properly

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

I still can't weather undercarriages properly

June 26th, 2006, 12:53 am #1

Hello all,

My question may have many answers and I'm willing to hear all of them. What are some approaches to weathering the undercarriage of a tank? I generally do not have much trouble with modeling techniques, but a nice muddy bottom is still beyond my abilities. I tried to paint the whole thing with dark earth and then wash and drybrush, but that looked like sh%t (literaly). I also tried pastels and didn't get nice results.

Is there a step-by-step guide out there somewhere? Somebody please help

thanks

rk

June 26th, 2006, 7:59 am #2

Hi anon.
Look on the home page in article's,then raritie's,should help you.
Steve,(ps i'm sure someone's about to tell you to use your full name so,er,use your full name.)

June 26th, 2006, 3:25 pm #3

Hello all,

My question may have many answers and I'm willing to hear all of them. What are some approaches to weathering the undercarriage of a tank? I generally do not have much trouble with modeling techniques, but a nice muddy bottom is still beyond my abilities. I tried to paint the whole thing with dark earth and then wash and drybrush, but that looked like sh%t (literaly). I also tried pastels and didn't get nice results.

Is there a step-by-step guide out there somewhere? Somebody please help

thanks

rk
Here's the article Steve referenced:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

June 26th, 2006, 4:53 pm #4

Mr. Jimenez's models are actually some of my favorites that I've seen. I didn't know that he achieved that look with just pigments. It almost sounds too simple.

BTW sorry about forgeting my full name in the first post

June 27th, 2006, 2:16 am #5

Well, that's his method and it looks nice. I use it sometimes. Others, I slather an acrylic gel medium onto my suspension to replicate a textured accumulation of dirt/mud. Then I attack it with colors and pigments. In this way, I don't have to pile as much pigment onto the areas.
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

June 27th, 2006, 12:31 pm #6

Mr. Jimenez's models are actually some of my favorites that I've seen. I didn't know that he achieved that look with just pigments. It almost sounds too simple.

BTW sorry about forgeting my full name in the first post
Ralph,if you can get it (should'nt be a problem) get hold of issue 127 of TMMI mag.
Mario Eens do's an absolute masterclass on mud,all the same technique's Mig use's but in real detail.
Steve.

July 19th, 2006, 6:01 pm #7

nt