I realize that its beatingdeadhorse material

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

I realize that its beatingdeadhorse material

April 19th, 2012, 2:43 am #1

but has anybody rec'd their MMiR #55 yet? I've seen it on a few big websites but alas as a subscriber still haven't seen mine yet. My wife re-upped my sub for my bday so I'm good for another year. I'm hoping that they get the production side sorted out so that issues will arrive in a more timely manner going forward.

April 19th, 2012, 11:37 am #2

I haven't seen it either....

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

April 19th, 2012, 12:55 pm #3

but has anybody rec'd their MMiR #55 yet? I've seen it on a few big websites but alas as a subscriber still haven't seen mine yet. My wife re-upped my sub for my bday so I'm good for another year. I'm hoping that they get the production side sorted out so that issues will arrive in a more timely manner going forward.
Hi:

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday. An excellent issue, as always.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com

April 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm #4

...a week or so.

I got my copy from our local HobbyTown USA. Looks like from the lable they got it from MMD.

Mike

April 19th, 2012, 2:40 pm #5

And our goal is to affect a more or less simultaneous release of all issues, regardless of their destination, with the subscriber issues going out slightly ahead of the pack. Everything ships from the west coast.

Depending on where you live, there still can be a slight lag on the mailing, which I attribute to a combination of two things: the speed of the USPS and the speed of UPS, with the former getting slower and the latter getting faster. Therefore, bulk shipments, such as distributor issues, can now beat the mail. Once upon a time, the subscription mailing would be long gone before the larger shipments even reached their final destinations.

(Funnily enough, Canadian issues always arrive first and cost about the same. Go figure)

I know beating up on the Post Office is yet another dead horse, but in contrast to the other services used, it's showing it's age. Not to bore you all, but we still use USPS for much of our small package stuff and we have seen the cost of first class rise over 70% in the last four years (especially overseas), with the speed decreasing about 50%. While UPS has also raised its rates considerably, their service continues to improve.

Unfortunately, we are boxed in to the USPS with subscriber issues. There is no longer an alternative. A few years ago, we used a UPS service called "Mail Innovations" that combined UPS and USPS services. This was super fast and very reasonable in price. It is no longer available due to the increase in USPS rates.

I will say that compared to the other services, the cost of mailing "flats," such as magazines is ridiculously inexpensive, being well less than 50% of first class.

We are currently looking into an air option for subscriber issues coming from the printer to land them directly at the mail processing house on the west coast. This would put them considerably ahead of the other issues and help negate the long mailing time. If this works out, we hope to have it in place by issue 57.

As always, if you feel that there is another issue involved, such as a recent address change, please get us a call and we'll take care of you.

Pat
MMiR

April 19th, 2012, 4:09 pm #6

I buy my magazine from my local hobby store so I really have a horse in this race but I think Pat should take heart that the guys are anxious about their magazines. IMSAO (In My Silly A**ed Opinion) this is the best armor magazine out there right now. I look forward to my LHS getting it in and they put it behind the counter for me. With the most recent issue they had a stack of them for sale they are leaving the store in volume. I assume it is more than Pat's weird sense of humor that is selling magazines.

Yeah it can drive you nuts that the magazine is sometimes a bit irregular (as is the publishing schedule) but it is always worth the wait.

Thanks

Dave Schemel

Improving my modeling one mistake at a time.

www.justplanestuff.net

April 19th, 2012, 4:25 pm #7

I got the ones for my shop from MMD/Squadron, and I am in Canada.

So, it would have had to be shipped to Squadron (which they posted it on Thur. April 5), I ordered it on Sun. Apr 9, and picked it up at my PO Box on Mon. Apr 16, and in my store the same day or next day.

No reason that the USPS couldn't have it in a customer's box, even if it had to go from California to Maine, within a week, so assuming that Squadron's was shipped the same week they got it, and subs were sent out prior to the distributors, anyone that had a sub. mailed should have gotten it a week ago. I know USPS is slow...but come on.

April 19th, 2012, 9:00 pm #8

Here in Arizona. Worth the wait BTW.

Mark

April 19th, 2012, 11:28 pm #9

I got the ones for my shop from MMD/Squadron, and I am in Canada.

So, it would have had to be shipped to Squadron (which they posted it on Thur. April 5), I ordered it on Sun. Apr 9, and picked it up at my PO Box on Mon. Apr 16, and in my store the same day or next day.

No reason that the USPS couldn't have it in a customer's box, even if it had to go from California to Maine, within a week, so assuming that Squadron's was shipped the same week they got it, and subs were sent out prior to the distributors, anyone that had a sub. mailed should have gotten it a week ago. I know USPS is slow...but come on.
It sounds like he contracts with a printer/mailer out west, who ships when ready, the way he described above. Just what do you think is going on?

I never understood those who think that, as a subscriber, they are entitled or somehow contractually guaranteed to receive their issue before it appears on the newstand. Your subscription guarantees you a magazine delivered to your door, period. What's even more bizarre is that subscibers generally pay less than the newstand price (sometimes substantially less)for the magazine PLUS at-home delivery, yet people think they are owed even more.

KL

April 20th, 2012, 12:15 am #10

He was just marvelling at the apparent inefficiency of the USPS. Scott Millican= good guy!

Confused,
Roy