I have a question about the british tanks of Afrika.....

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

I have a question about the british tanks of Afrika.....

April 14th, 2012, 12:41 am #1

Not being an allied guy, just wondering what happened to the Grants, Crusaders and Shermans after the campaign was over. Did they go to Italy or just stay in Afrika?? Just curious because I can't recall seeing any pictures of them outside of Afrika.

THANKS!!

April 14th, 2012, 8:37 am #2

Hi
Under the Lend Lease agreement, the USA had their loans back, for re-cycling.

Others were re-used or sent to India.

Cheers
Andrew

April 14th, 2012, 10:20 am #3

Not being an allied guy, just wondering what happened to the Grants, Crusaders and Shermans after the campaign was over. Did they go to Italy or just stay in Afrika?? Just curious because I can't recall seeing any pictures of them outside of Afrika.

THANKS!!
Hi Ron,

Quite a lot of Shermans went to Italy. You can see plenty of pictures on Sicily especially on the IWM site of Sherman IIIs especially in their NA disruptive camo looking quite worn

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

April 14th, 2012, 2:21 pm #4

THANKS!!
Valentines were sold to Turkey...
Kaya Saydas

April 14th, 2012, 4:07 pm #5

British vehicles were sent to the USA for scrapping as well. Pictures turn up every so often, most recently of Crusaders on US flatcars.

Sort of Reverse Lend Lease I suppose.

April 14th, 2012, 4:26 pm #6

Valentines were sold to Turkey...
Kaya Saydas
Intersting comment Kaya - the only records I have seen so far on this subject note that the Bishops in North Africa had their guns removed and the hulls used for Valentine spare parts. Do you have any further information on this?

DT

April 14th, 2012, 11:15 pm #7

I am not sure where they got them, but Portugal got some Beaufighters, Hurricanes, Spitfires and Valentines, possibly via North Africa in 1944? Egypt certainly still had some disarmed MkIV Valentines in 1956, another possible destination? The Free French got at least a regiments worth to replace D2s in 1943 as well.
merlin

April 15th, 2012, 2:57 pm #8

Most of the obsolescent or non-servicable vehicles and equipment was shipped home for training or scrap in the otherwise empty holds of ships which delivered new materiel.

Keith

April 15th, 2012, 5:04 pm #9

THANKS!!
Over 1,000 of the surviving Lees & grants were sent to India. They battled on with the 14th Army giving great service until August '45 in Burma.

April 15th, 2012, 11:59 pm #10

THANKS!!
but could never recall seeing Grants or Crusaders in Europe. Would have thought they would have been used until they broke.