I have a question about airbrushing............

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

I have a question about airbrushing............

June 19th, 2012, 1:50 am #1

I use an HP-C with a .2 needle, I had it converted guts and all, anyway when I sprayed my camo on, I got a lot of overspray. Before I applied it, I was using a test model and played with the paint and air presure and could not get it to spray without the overspray spotting, so I said screw it with the hopes of the weathering fading most of it in.

Anyway I used Tamiya thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Now I was under the impression that it should be "milkish" in body, but should it have been thinned even more?? Air pressure was tried from 10 to 25 psi but I settled on 15 because either pressure did not clear up the issue. I thought that maybe the needle was bent, so I put in a new one and that did not work.

As far back as I can remember, I have always had this issue, but just can't seem to get it straight, even after watching a Mig/Adam dvd.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found the fix?? Maybe I have to go back the the .3 needle. I did the .2 just for camo. Or maybe purchase a newer model gun.

THANKS!!!

June 19th, 2012, 2:07 am #2

You should be able to shoot properly thinned paint down to 5 psi if needed in that brush. I would probably suggest 10 - 12 psi max.

Also check you shooting angles, and the amount of paint you are applying. (How far back the trigger is) It definitely takes practice...

I would suggest getting some 3 X 5 index cards, and practicing on them over and over until you get the mix/psi/amount the way you want it...

HTH,

Scott Gentry

June 20th, 2012, 3:35 pm #3

I use an HP-C with a .2 needle, I had it converted guts and all, anyway when I sprayed my camo on, I got a lot of overspray. Before I applied it, I was using a test model and played with the paint and air presure and could not get it to spray without the overspray spotting, so I said screw it with the hopes of the weathering fading most of it in.

Anyway I used Tamiya thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Now I was under the impression that it should be "milkish" in body, but should it have been thinned even more?? Air pressure was tried from 10 to 25 psi but I settled on 15 because either pressure did not clear up the issue. I thought that maybe the needle was bent, so I put in a new one and that did not work.

As far back as I can remember, I have always had this issue, but just can't seem to get it straight, even after watching a Mig/Adam dvd.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found the fix?? Maybe I have to go back the the .3 needle. I did the .2 just for camo. Or maybe purchase a newer model gun.

THANKS!!!
Go 60/40 thinner to paint drop your psi to 10-15. if you can remove the tip protector and get closer to the surface.if needed go 65/35 even 70/30..pratice on index card first...
HTH

The Big Bang Theory, watch it you'll laugh your arse off!!

June 20th, 2012, 11:54 pm #4

nt