Humbrol Matt 33

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Humbrol Matt 33

Alex Chappell
Alex Chappell

April 2nd, 2004, 6:31 pm #1

I am continously having trouble with Humbrol Matt 33 (supposed to be flat black) even when stirring thouroughly. Usually comes out with a matt finish when I open a new tin and wick off the oil at the top with a napkin. Mixing well does not produce matt effect (at least not for me). Anyone else with a similar problem, and if so, please let me know if you were able to correct it.

Mike Starmer
Mike Starmer

April 2nd, 2004, 8:51 pm #2

You should not remove the oil, this is the carrying medium for the pigments. You will end up with a half can of unusable black sludge.

David Chu
David Chu

April 2nd, 2004, 9:41 pm #3

I am continously having trouble with Humbrol Matt 33 (supposed to be flat black) even when stirring thouroughly. Usually comes out with a matt finish when I open a new tin and wick off the oil at the top with a napkin. Mixing well does not produce matt effect (at least not for me). Anyone else with a similar problem, and if so, please let me know if you were able to correct it.
I like Humbrol 33 for its true blackness. You really have to mix it well to get it to dry matt. It doesn't really matter if you add a coat of matt varnish.
I do find that its shelf life is short. Once the top oil dries it's gone.

Alex Chappell
Alex Chappell

April 2nd, 2004, 10:09 pm #4

You should not remove the oil, this is the carrying medium for the pigments. You will end up with a half can of unusable black sludge.
Not removing all of the carrier, just enough to change to matt black!

Dave Foster
Dave Foster

April 3rd, 2004, 4:56 am #5

I dont understand why you are 'wicking off the oil'. The entire contents of the can is necessary to make the paint the right consistency and formulation.

A new can of enamel - any enamel - should be thoroughly mixed using a flat stirrer; - mix until there is absolutely no 'thick' sediment on the stirrer. Then mix it some more! You can never mix paint too much.

I have never had this problem myself and I started using Humbrol almost fifty years ago. Flats can go off a bit quick, especially in hot climates, 'cos the volatiles escape and leave an ever thicker mass of pigment in the bottom. Also not sealing the can properly can allow a skin to form and you then loose some of the carrier medium when you remove the skin.

I have no affiliation with Humbrol, but have always found it to be an excellent product that I would recommend to anyone.

Regards Dave

April 3rd, 2004, 6:42 pm #6

Alex,

the guys are right about the stirring, you have to get rid of ALL the sediment.
As an extra help, drop a couple of small ball-bearings in the tin, then you can start the mixing process by shaking the hell out of it for a few minutes, before you start with the stirring! (lid on, of course!)

Cheers,

Darren.

April 4th, 2004, 7:47 am #7

Yes, I agree with Darren. I've got the "glossy" problem with Humbol paint before. But then I drop some steel ball bearings, close the lid and then shake madly, the problem was solved!

Guenther Antonio
Guenther Antonio

April 29th, 2004, 8:43 pm #8

The best results occur, when you scoop the pigment from the bottom of the tin and place it on a cardboard palette or 3x5 file card. You then take some humbrol thinner to flow the paint to brushing consistency. Hope this helps