Humbrol 113 Rust?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Humbrol 113 Rust?

James Richardson
James Richardson

February 25th, 2004, 7:30 am #1

Does anyone use Humbrol 113 to make rust? The other day I looked on the back of my uncle's ute at the really old rust and even painted some 113 on to compare the colours(don't tell him)and could barely tell the difference between the paint and the real rust. I currently use this paint to show old rust streaks. What do you guys think of is? TIA, James

February 25th, 2004, 6:32 pm #2

Hi James,

I think there is not only one true colour for rust. Rust is in different colours for different 'ages'. Also, the rust of different metals will be different.
I use oil paint colour raw umber & burnt sienna mixed by different degree to simulate rust. These 2 colours, especially the burnt sienna are very difficult (for me only) to reproduce by mixing humbol paints. Also, in real life, there are plenty colour variation even in small rust areas. So, the colour variation make your rust looks true. Don't forget before the metal surface turn to rust, it changes from shinny to light gray and then to dark gray and finally to rust colour. It takes time to go through these stages (maybe years, I'm not sure). Also, to my observation, sheet metal are more prone to turn to rusty than thick armored plate.
However, for the rust stain on exhaust pipe, I use Humbol 61 + Humbol 62 to make a light orange colour.
Just look around and you will find the true colours.

HTH
Jaffe