Humber Box

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Humber Box

May 22nd, 2012, 10:18 pm #1

Hello All
It struck me that I'm hiding within my collection a number of models which deserve the odd airing. Consequently, it seemed a good idea to haul one out from time-to-time before the discerning audience that is 'Braille Scale'.

First up - 'Pandorra'
To give her full name - Humber Heavy Utility 4x4 modelled in 1/76 scale.

I met her full sized cousin at the military vehicle fair in Beltring, Kent around twelve years ago. Getting into conversation with her owner, he allowed me to measure and extensively photograph her from every angle. I thought about finding a kit of the subject but the only one I knew of, that by Firing Line, was as rare as hen's teeth and so I decided a scratch build was the answer.

She turned into a labour of love. From he subframe upwards, every detail I could manage was fitted. She boasts a full instrument panel, map table, angle-poise lamp, tip-up seats in the back and the tiniest mesh radiator protector I could find. The biggest challenge was forming the roof in a hand made plunge mould. This went well apart from when the heat source (a 100 watt bulb) was left close to the first attempt for too long and, whilst I was distracted, fell over, melting a hole in the surrond to by PC's monitor. The only cheat was to borrow wheels from an MMS white metal kit.

She won the odd award or two in competitions but now sits in a glass cabinet ignored for much of the time. She's maybe not as crisp as she once was. Every now and then a door falls off when I'm ham-fistedly handling her but I make a point of re-attaching it straight away before it disappears.

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

www.dantaylormodelworks.com
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

May 23rd, 2012, 2:30 am #2

I take it from all this that you fully scratched this little puppy ? Well done !! How did you come by the wheels, because that is always the first trouble scratching any wheeled vehicle ?

Regards, Alfred

May 23rd, 2012, 4:39 am #3

Hello All
It struck me that I'm hiding within my collection a number of models which deserve the odd airing. Consequently, it seemed a good idea to haul one out from time-to-time before the discerning audience that is 'Braille Scale'.

First up - 'Pandorra'

I met her full sized cousin at the military vehicle fair in Beltring, Kent around twelve years ago. Getting into conversation with her owner, he allowed me to measure and extensively photograph her from every angle. I thought about finding a kit of the subject but the only one I knew of, that by Firing Line, was as rare as hen's teeth and so I decided a scratch build was the answer.

She turned into a labour of love. From he subframe upwards, every detail I could manage was fitted. She boasts a full instrument panel, map table, angle-poise lamp, tip-up seats in the back and the tiniest mesh radiator protector I could find. The biggest challenge was forming the roof in a hand made plunge mould. This went well apart from when the heat source (a 100 watt bulb) was left close to the first attempt for too long and, whilst I was distracted, fell over, melting a hole in the surrond to by PC's monitor. The only cheat was to borrow wheels from an MMS white metal kit.

She won the odd award or two in competitions but now sits in a glass cabinet ignored for much of the time. She's maybe not as crisp as she once was. Every now and then a door falls off when I'm ham-fistedly handling her but I make a point of re-attaching it straight away before it disappears.

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

Dan,
I'm impressed. Looking at the pictures (why only two?) I can imagine all the problems you were forced to fight with but the result is worth. You were kind to describe some of them but I'm sure they were more.
Also, never forget it always could be worse. To stay within the stable, your choice might have been Humber Snipe Saloon, for example
Last edited by Ilian Filipov on May 23rd, 2012, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2012, 5:34 am #4

I take it from all this that you fully scratched this little puppy ? Well done !! How did you come by the wheels, because that is always the first trouble scratching any wheeled vehicle ?

Regards, Alfred
Hello Alfred
Thanks for the message. Glad you like her. The Wheels were given to me by Barry Walby of MMS. He does an excellent range of white metal 1/76 scale vehicles (in case you haven't heard of him). I believe the donor vehicle was a little Humber 8-cwt GS truck. I find it's often worthwhile asking cottage industry producers if you can buy odd bits and bobs - especially wheels - as the casting process often creates a surplus where one part moulds better than others.

Regards
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

May 23rd, 2012, 2:05 pm #5

Hello All

First up - 'Pandorra'

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

...why in 1/76 and not 72?
Anyway it is right the matter of my interest. softskins are yummy!!!
Really awesome work!!!

May 23rd, 2012, 4:53 pm #6

Hello All

First up - 'Pandorra'

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

I am overwhelmed with the quality of this model! I envy you guys that can scratch build something so spectacular. Way to go!
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm #7

Hello All

First up - 'Pandorra'

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I love this vehicle, I think MMS do it in 1/76 resin, but I only do 1/72. Perhaps Alexey at Ace be persuaded to produce one, it was a much used vehicle and is really nice. Your model is exceptional, really capturing the vehicle perfectly. Thank you for sharing.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 24th, 2012, 10:54 am #8

Hello All

First up - 'Pandorra'

I hope you enjoy her.

Dan

Thanks to Ilian, Mark and Paul for the comments - much appreciated. Further to Ilians point, here are some more pictures...

I hope you can just see the armrests and quilted seating for the officers! I've clearly put too much effort into things nobody will ever see! Oto - I have sympathy for your preference for 1/72 but 1/76 is simply a purer form of the art. I'm hoping that, over time, I can convince people that 1/72 scale is fine for kit builders but 1/76 scale is for modelmakers

In case you are interested, I have created a set of plans for the Humber. Wouldn't be too difficult to reproduce it in your scale if you'd like a copy.

Oh, and Ilian, I'll photograph the Snipe for next time...

Regards
Dan

Last edited by Dan-Taylor on May 24th, 2012, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Taylor Modelworks

May 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm #9

N/T

May 25th, 2012, 4:05 am #10

Thanks to Ilian, Mark and Paul for the comments - much appreciated. Further to Ilians point, here are some more pictures...

I hope you can just see the armrests and quilted seating for the officers! I've clearly put too much effort into things nobody will ever see! Oto - I have sympathy for your preference for 1/72 but 1/76 is simply a purer form of the art. I'm hoping that, over time, I can convince people that 1/72 scale is fine for kit builders but 1/76 scale is for modelmakers

In case you are interested, I have created a set of plans for the Humber. Wouldn't be too difficult to reproduce it in your scale if you'd like a copy.

Oh, and Ilian, I'll photograph the Snipe for next time...

Regards
Dan

Always good to see British vehicles
especially full scratch ones

Cheers Elliott