Humber A/C Mk. IV in NWE Campaign

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Humber A/C Mk. IV in NWE Campaign

January 9th, 2012, 11:08 pm #1

Hello!

Please, could anoyne tell me if the 61st Recce Regiment (50th Northumbrian Infantry Disivion) and the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry (51st Highand Infantry Division) used Humber AC Mk.IV during the North-West Europe Campaign of 19441945?

TIA,
Fabrício Menardi

January 9th, 2012, 11:20 pm #2

I made my own research and found this:

So, now I need something about the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry.

Regards,

Fabrício
Last edited by fmenardi on January 9th, 2012, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 10th, 2012, 10:39 am #3

I think I am correct in saying that the 51st HD used Daimler Armoured cars.

George.

January 10th, 2012, 11:59 am #4

I made my own research and found this:

So, now I need something about the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry.

Regards,

Fabrício
The 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry was Recce Regt for the 51st Highland Division

http://www.madrecce.moonfruit.com/

sk

January 10th, 2012, 5:16 pm #5

I think I am correct in saying that the 51st HD used Daimler Armoured cars.

George.
There is a photo in one of the Tanks Illustrated books of one. they seem to be the exception, as most of the infantry divs in 21AG had Humbers, including 15th.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

January 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm #6

sk
I'm reading up on Totalize, in Normandy, 7-8 August '44, and see that the 1st Black Watch was supported by the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. So, does this mean that the 2DY would have been the reece unit for the 51 HD at that time? If so, would thay have had Humber ACs, or another type of armored vehicle, in with the infantry and the tanks of the 1NY?

I ask because I am doing a diorama showing a Firefly and a Humber SC of the 1NY, along with infantry from the Black Watch, on the move. As I need a third piece of armor to fill out the scene, I am trying to find another type of armored car, or carrier, that will fit in accurately.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as would info to get me back on the right course if the above scenario is incorrect.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

January 10th, 2012, 8:39 pm #7

There is an Accurate Armour Daimler A/c but as yet, nothing in styrene. We live in hope....

Anyway, no Humber a/cs in 2DY.

Rob

January 10th, 2012, 11:34 pm #8

....how hard is to find photos of the 2DY Daimlers? I have been going about things backwards...come up with an idea, then try and find photos to support it. I'd rather do it the other way around if I'm going to rob a bank to get the Acc Arm kit.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

January 11th, 2012, 2:20 am #9

There is an Accurate Armour Daimler A/c but as yet, nothing in styrene. We live in hope....

Anyway, no Humber a/cs in 2DY.

Rob
Just looked at Accurate ArmoUr and they have two Daimler Armoured Cars...Mk.I and II. Can you tell me which I'd need to go with the 2DY during Totalize?

Thanks!
Michael

January 11th, 2012, 7:45 am #10

sk
According to loading tables in WO 171/850 for "C" Sqn for June the armored cars were "Armd C Humb. IV". There is no mention of Daimler ACs, though the tables included in the War Diary do not appear to be complete.

I need to go to bed now. I will look into this further hopefully tomorrow. Perhaps they were equipped with Daimlers later in the campaign?

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown