how to use transparent paint (enamel)?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

how to use transparent paint (enamel)?

July 30th, 2008, 9:19 am #1

Hello,

I want to use transparant color (enamel paint from Revell) for coloring a clear-plastic part. What's the best way to use that color? When I use it with a brush, the paint just flows into the corner and then there's nearly no paint in the middle of the part.
Is it possible to airbrush those colors?

Best regards,
Dennis

Delete XXX from my email

look at my homepage:
http://modellbau-schwabe.de.tl/Home.htm

July 30th, 2008, 2:45 pm #2

The clear colors can be used in a couple of ways. On bare plastic they can be thin, and it can take multiple coats. They can be airbrushed. No different than any other enamel. Tamiya and Testors make clears, as do Humbrol as well.

They work best over other paints. I use, for example, clear red and clear orange to do reflector and tail lights. For orange, I base coat in Gold, and then apply a few layers of orange. For the red, I use a silver base.

A mix of Tamiya Clear Smoke and Clear Orange is great over Brass metal shells or Brass painted shells. Its good for oil stains too.
DAVID NICKELS

July 30th, 2008, 8:34 pm #3

Hello,

I want to use transparant color (enamel paint from Revell) for coloring a clear-plastic part. What's the best way to use that color? When I use it with a brush, the paint just flows into the corner and then there's nearly no paint in the middle of the part.
Is it possible to airbrush those colors?

Best regards,
Dennis

Delete XXX from my email

look at my homepage:
http://modellbau-schwabe.de.tl/Home.htm
I use Tamiyas clears and always brush apply. Never had a problem with them pooling round the edges.

When the kit supplies a clear lens I apply bare metal foil to the part it attaches to, then glue the clear part to it with Krystal Kleer, then brush paint the outer face of the clear lens. This is an example;-

For 'solid' lights, ie made of non transparent plastic, I apply Bare Metal foil, coat with Johnsons Klear, then apply the clear paint to that. The indicators on the M113 are done that way;-

Regards Dave