how to paint burnt out tanks?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

how to paint burnt out tanks?

July 23rd, 2006, 5:35 pm #1

i ve only recently purchased an airbrush, and i ve never really weathered anything before.I d like to redo some of my old models as destroyed , burnt out vehicles. Would covering the entire vehicle with actual rust moxed with white glue work as a base for further weathering? Can anyone give me a basic sequence i can follow?Thanks in advance.

Some advices

July 24th, 2006, 7:52 am #2

hello,

well, first all, I don't recomend you to use a old model to make it like a K.O. vehicle, because a burnt out tank need more extra work than a simple tanks in normal conditions. You need to redo many parts with metal, make it thinner, with damage effects, you neeed to remove wood or rubber parts, etc...
Also, the piant techniques for K.O. tanks is alos much more complex than normal tanks, and mainly you must use the BRUSH and not the AIRBRUSH to make many effects.

If you are new with the airbrush, I recomend you the next one:

Buy a new kit, and build it out of box (many kits actually are really amazing and well detailed)

Search a nice camo, tri-color camo like example, where you can try with your airbrush in an easy way, and finally make a soft weathering with dust, using your new tool.

Try training with this kind of exercises until you get experience.

If you want to continue with K.O. tanks, let me know.

MIG

Additional advice

July 25th, 2006, 2:41 am #3

i ve only recently purchased an airbrush, and i ve never really weathered anything before.I d like to redo some of my old models as destroyed , burnt out vehicles. Would covering the entire vehicle with actual rust moxed with white glue work as a base for further weathering? Can anyone give me a basic sequence i can follow?Thanks in advance.
Buy MIG's book!

I am guessing that Mr. Jimenez is far too modest to state this himself but the book is well worth the money (which is no mean feat because it's a bloody expensive book). The book includes many pictures which illustrate the steps involved in replicating cetain weathering effects. Burnt-out vehicles may use a number of different techniques that are featured in the book.

Also, you may wish to pick up issue number 10 of 'Xtreme Modelling' which features an article by none other than Miguel Jimenez documenting the construction and painting of a burnt-out T-55.

I should mention the following:

1.) I don't know Mr. Jimenez
2.) He didn't pay me to write this post!

I merely believe that his pictorial features are excellent resources for modellers of any genre and experience level.

Cheers - Dan

thanks guys

July 27th, 2006, 4:59 pm #4

n/t