How to make realistic bullet holes in kit windshields???

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

How to make realistic bullet holes in kit windshields???

June 4th, 2009, 12:57 am #1

Hi, any experience out there how to get that hole with the cracks coming out (not meant to be nasty).

Thanks, Greg

would hitting a small chisel do it?

June 4th, 2009, 12:39 pm #2

...with a 1/48th scale gun, I suppose.

Sorry, I could not resist.

As I'm writing, let me congratulate you (and all the others on this DG) for the great and inspiring work you share!

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Rathgeb on June 4th, 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2009, 4:16 pm #3

Hi, any experience out there how to get that hole with the cracks coming out (not meant to be nasty).

Thanks, Greg

would hitting a small chisel do it?
is to look at some photos of bullet-scarred windshields to determine the pattern of the damage. Drill small holes through the clear plastic (and you may want to use thinner clear plastic for plain glass windshields). Using a new Exacto #11 blade, draw the cracks gently where you want them. Bear in mind all modern auto windshield glass is laminated so it doesn't come apart. Many German WW2 vehicles did NOT use safety glass and sometimes their glass windshields shattered like window glass in houses. Again, look at photos for the best references. For your Hummers, you appear to be modeling the unarmored HMMMVs so the glass will not be that thick. The M1114s and other "bank vault" HMMMVs have armored windshields well over 2" (50mm) thick. It takes an RPG round to penetrate them in most cases. The cracks will radiate from the impact strikes or bullet holes, and often cross each other with multiple hits. I don't have any photos at hand to demonstrate any of this..... You can use photos of civilian vehicle damage also - it will often look the same.

June 5th, 2009, 11:58 pm #4

nkdc