How to do decals

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

How to do decals

January 19th, 2005, 8:54 pm #1

Hi
How exactly do you apply decals without leaving the really obvious film around the edge, also how should they bbe fixed to the surface without easily rubbing off.

Cheers
Rob

Jeff Hamblen
Jeff Hamblen

January 20th, 2005, 8:05 am #2

Dear Rob,
This is a link to a wargaming site but it's a good primer on how to do decals. One thing the author doesn't mention is that to really make the decals disappear, use a gloss coat first. It gives the decal a flat shiny surface to stick to. If the finish is matte, tiny microscopic airbubbles will be trapped under the decal which cause silvering. Also be careful with the Solvaset solution he mentions. It is a form of acid. It won't burn you (at least I've never had a problem) but some decals don't react well. They shrivel and are unusable. It's always a good idea to test it first on a decal you don't need, unless you know the company.

http://www.netmdc.com/~longfang/Subpage ... rkshop.htm

January 21st, 2005, 10:45 am #3

Hi
How exactly do you apply decals without leaving the really obvious film around the edge, also how should they bbe fixed to the surface without easily rubbing off.

Cheers
Rob
Hello Rob,
I do exactly as described in the link above but I use Mr Mark Softer by Gunze Sangyo it is terrific stuff and doesn't wrinkle the decals as does Solvaset. I don't gloss coat first and find that one coat does the job even with thick decals. I then airbrush a matt varnish over the decal when thoroughly dry (at least overnight). Once dry you will never get them off (I've tried!).
If you find an airbubble trapped under the decal wait till it's dry, pierce with a needle and reapply the solution both the hole and bubble disappear.

These are both 1/72 kits with terrible decals (photos arn't great either).

Hope that helps,

Jason

David Nickels
David Nickels

January 21st, 2005, 2:43 pm #4

IT is a two part system like Micro Set/Sol. You apply Softner first then setter to draw the decal down tight.

January 22nd, 2005, 9:38 am #5

Thanks for the tip David. I had no idea it was a 2 part thing and hence have never used the setter. It works so well by itself it's hard to imagine the setter could improve the process. Do you use it? I'm about to embark on a Zimmerit job (1/72nd)and was wondering how to do the decals.

Thanks,

Jason

January 22nd, 2005, 11:14 am #6

Hi

Cheers
Rob