How to clean pigments?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

How to clean pigments?

May 8th, 2008, 2:34 am #1

Hi all, during the weathering of my first 1/35 build I think I applied too much pigments (fixed with turpentine) to the turret (see below). How can I clean them? Or is it a done deal?

Thanks in advance!

F

xPLAN303Ex: The portrait of the artist I am not.
http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

May 8th, 2008, 11:40 am #2

Hello Fernando
What you have there does not look too bad. You might be able to brush a lot of the pigments away using a brush. After I might take a smaller brush with more thinner and simply scuff it up a bit to look like its been walked on.

Nice chipping on the hatches by the way.

Let me know
ANPW

May 8th, 2008, 2:56 pm #3

Will give it a try!

And thanks for the compliments!

May 8th, 2008, 3:08 pm #4

Hello Fernando
What you have there does not look too bad. You might be able to brush a lot of the pigments away using a brush. After I might take a smaller brush with more thinner and simply scuff it up a bit to look like its been walked on.

Let me know
ANPW
Will give it a try!

And thanks for the compliments!

May 13th, 2008, 12:30 pm #5

Hello Fernando

Let me know
ANPW
It looks fine to me as is. Consider leaving it as is. However, you could lightly drybrush over it with some of the original color (very lightly though) to tone the stain down somewhat.

May 13th, 2008, 10:06 pm #6

Interesting thought Fred

I have also done something similar by airbrushing more of the base tone over the pigments.

Cool idea.

Sincerely
ANPW

May 14th, 2008, 2:00 pm #7

I've done this many times. Especailly with road wheels and suspension to bring soem of the base color back "through" the weathering. Sometimes then you have to go back and weatehr the new paint a tad to make it match, especially if you gave the whole vehicle a wash.