How to build the best Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33B

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

How to build the best Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33B

January 28th, 2012, 4:26 am #1

I'm starting this project tonight. I've already noted several problems with the instructions on the MW kits. I'm using the Trumpeter lower hull and wheels. MW fighting compartment and tool boxes. The Attack PE, hatches and some details. And the ACE gun with a metal barrel from RB. I'm probably going to use the winterketten tracks from MACO. I'll update the progress as it occurs. Also open to any suggestions. For example which drive sprocket and rear idler should I use?

January 28th, 2012, 12:26 pm #2

David, looks good, keep us updated on your progress and I for one look forward to how you tackle this conversion. All the best!....Will

January 28th, 2012, 3:25 pm #3

I'm starting this project tonight. I've already noted several problems with the instructions on the MW kits. I'm using the Trumpeter lower hull and wheels. MW fighting compartment and tool boxes. The Attack PE, hatches and some details. And the ACE gun with a metal barrel from RB. I'm probably going to use the winterketten tracks from MACO. I'll update the progress as it occurs. Also open to any suggestions. For example which drive sprocket and rear idler should I use?
Now that's gonna be fun to watch on Monday Hobby Days! You may even have to come back after work to get a little more done! Looking forward to seeing this.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

January 28th, 2012, 4:56 pm #4

http://armourfast.com/German-Armour/Stu ... od_33.html

January 28th, 2012, 6:41 pm #5

I had an interest in this vehicle as it appears in a chapter of my book nearing finally being done.
First dozen rebuilt in a hurry-per top direct orders, Sept.42.using stug.III/E chassis. The rushed to Stalingrad, only belatedly in time to demonstrate in eleventh-hour attacks.
( I was fortunate in getting an account from a surviving zug commander who used them in action.)
I also was fortunate in viewing among the incredible private collections of photographs owned by Mr.B.Eady, about (6) photos of these vehicles in action. Three depict the grey vehicles at Stalingrad/ one depicts a white-washed grey inside Stalingrad kessel. Three others depict the 3-color second batch using mostly "F" chassis, as used by 9th Co., 201st Pz.Rgt./ 23rd. Pz.Div.in spring 1943. One picture shows four crew riding on front of the vehicle as it moves under two from a FAMO; the picture is taken from the rear of the towing tractor, the gun is 3-tone colors. Another picture shows (3) such guns in a field away from action, in warm weather, again in 3-tone colors. None of the photographs I have been lucky enough to view have vehicles equipped with non-standard width tracks, however that's not to say a few did not have them.
I do not own nor have current access to any of these photos, my only interest was in the combat performance of the vehicles in Stalingrad. Regards, Mark Thomas.

January 28th, 2012, 9:00 pm #6

Hi David
You recall our discussion at beginning of Oct?
Apart from that I know only pics with late gear wheels and idlers, but also with Winterketten.

Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 10/11th march 2012
www.ipms.at

January 28th, 2012, 9:07 pm #7

I had an interest in this vehicle as it appears in a chapter of my book nearing finally being done.
First dozen rebuilt in a hurry-per top direct orders, Sept.42.using stug.III/E chassis. The rushed to Stalingrad, only belatedly in time to demonstrate in eleventh-hour attacks.
( I was fortunate in getting an account from a surviving zug commander who used them in action.)
I also was fortunate in viewing among the incredible private collections of photographs owned by Mr.B.Eady, about (6) photos of these vehicles in action. Three depict the grey vehicles at Stalingrad/ one depicts a white-washed grey inside Stalingrad kessel. Three others depict the 3-color second batch using mostly "F" chassis, as used by 9th Co., 201st Pz.Rgt./ 23rd. Pz.Div.in spring 1943. One picture shows four crew riding on front of the vehicle as it moves under two from a FAMO; the picture is taken from the rear of the towing tractor, the gun is 3-tone colors. Another picture shows (3) such guns in a field away from action, in warm weather, again in 3-tone colors. None of the photographs I have been lucky enough to view have vehicles equipped with non-standard width tracks, however that's not to say a few did not have them.
I do not own nor have current access to any of these photos, my only interest was in the combat performance of the vehicles in Stalingrad. Regards, Mark Thomas.
Hi Mark
To my knowledge all sIG 33 were build on Stug 3B-E which came home for repairs. And I know pics were the front hatches from Stug 3B-D are visible. During rebuild they were upgraded with latest details e.g. the same engine hatches with armored openings as Stug 3F. This details can confuse during identification.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Visit our modelling show "Go Modelling" in Military Museum in Vienna at 10/11th march 2012
www.ipms.at

January 29th, 2012, 11:38 pm #8

Hi David
You recall our discussion at beginning of Oct?
Apart from that I know only pics with late gear wheels and idlers, but also with Winterketten.

Regards from Vienna
Robert

www.ipms.at
It sounds like a challenging build using many parts from donor kits, and the person stated he was "open to suggestions." My best is to...build the model and have fun, all else is secondary. Having said that, if it is an attempt to be exacting, then that's where the challenge comes in.
My interest in these few obscure vehicles lies in their' purported sole reason for development- Stalingrad,-and the first batch of vehicles which made it there. Only seeing use for one and half weeks at best ( before encirclement ), no person can realistically hold that special extended tracks,-developed and used by winter/spring 1942/43 were airlifted into Stalingrad, by airplanes which could not even supply food for starving troops.
As for the second dozen, all of the pictures I have seen of these depict the surviving vehicles after the snow had melted, and none show the widened tracks for snow. These vehicles were rushed to participate in the "Wintergewitter"/ Winter Storm relief attempt toward Stalingrad, and I have read a Russian account of a veteran who claims to have helped destroy one with an anti-tank gun.
It is possible that some time later, a few of these surviving handful of vehicles were re-fitted during what could only be described as a haphazard RETREAT away from the Stalingrad region.
This would be the sole possibility, but is outside of my interest in the original deployment,-and reason, for these vehicles. ( Virtually all rebuilt by ALKETT were intended for Stalingrad, but were too late, as USSR wasn't willing to wait.)

January 30th, 2012, 3:47 am #9

Wow Dave, this would be the ultimate way to put together this model. I would get a copy of a line-drawing first. I will post some picture of my model next time.

BTW, if you have any spare PZ 3 tracks after the project, let me know. I need them for my M24 project.

January 30th, 2012, 8:31 am #10

It sounds like a challenging build using many parts from donor kits, and the person stated he was "open to suggestions." My best is to...build the model and have fun, all else is secondary. Having said that, if it is an attempt to be exacting, then that's where the challenge comes in.
My interest in these few obscure vehicles lies in their' purported sole reason for development- Stalingrad,-and the first batch of vehicles which made it there. Only seeing use for one and half weeks at best ( before encirclement ), no person can realistically hold that special extended tracks,-developed and used by winter/spring 1942/43 were airlifted into Stalingrad, by airplanes which could not even supply food for starving troops.
As for the second dozen, all of the pictures I have seen of these depict the surviving vehicles after the snow had melted, and none show the widened tracks for snow. These vehicles were rushed to participate in the "Wintergewitter"/ Winter Storm relief attempt toward Stalingrad, and I have read a Russian account of a veteran who claims to have helped destroy one with an anti-tank gun.
It is possible that some time later, a few of these surviving handful of vehicles were re-fitted during what could only be described as a haphazard RETREAT away from the Stalingrad region.
This would be the sole possibility, but is outside of my interest in the original deployment,-and reason, for these vehicles. ( Virtually all rebuilt by ALKETT were intended for Stalingrad, but were too late, as USSR wasn't willing to wait.)
David put a nice pic with Winterketten at
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... +Robert%21
this and some more pics are in the book "Sturmtiger und Sturmpanzer im Kampf" from Troica.
I guess you are right , they are from the second batch outside the pocket.
Accoring this book the last report about this vehicles is from sept. 1944 with 5 in inventory.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

www.ipms.at