How To Build Roads?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

How To Build Roads?

February 15th, 2004, 12:41 pm #1

As the title says... how do u make roads? Those flat, grey, tar roads.... The texture, wheathering and so on.
Is there actually and article on this too?

Thanks a lot in advance

Mig Jimenez
Mig Jimenez

February 15th, 2004, 1:01 pm #2

Hi Mr Audi!

The easy way for to build a road in a diorama is using a sandpaper. The texture is close to the real one.
You can fix it with white glue over a polyfoam structure. You can make damege effects, and also you can paint easily with acrylics or enamels.
Try it please!

All the best

MIG

February 16th, 2004, 9:37 am #3

HeY good idea!
I never thought of that... hmm... i'll give it a try soon... im sure it'll turn out splendid!...

Regards,
Audi

February 16th, 2004, 3:21 pm #4

Hi Mr Audi!

The easy way for to build a road in a diorama is using a sandpaper. The texture is close to the real one.
You can fix it with white glue over a polyfoam structure. You can make damege effects, and also you can paint easily with acrylics or enamels.
Try it please!

All the best

MIG
Damn-

So simple-

Thanks Mig-

James

Bob Pittenger
Bob Pittenger

February 19th, 2004, 1:57 am #5

As the title says... how do u make roads? Those flat, grey, tar roads.... The texture, wheathering and so on.
Is there actually and article on this too?

Thanks a lot in advance
I did a road recently using Hudson Allen Asphalt. I cut out a peice of cardboard and sort of bent it into shape to provide the proper slopes. Remember that a road isn't flat. The I covered it with Hudson Allen Asphalt mix. The result wasn't perfect (it was covered in rubble anyway), and I didn't really paint it well, but I think the texture would be better than using sandpaper. I would do it the same way again, but I recommend you do a practice run, or do two and pick the best one.