how to backdated a VW kafer ???!!!

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

how to backdated a VW kafer ???!!!

March 25th, 2012, 9:45 am #1

hello modeller's,

yesterday, i bought this 1/16 scale model and i'm interested to know the different step to follow to changed it as a WW2 (or before) production?

any idea ?

thank's a lot for your help

niko

March 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm #2

Depending on the year of the model depicted in the kit, I'd suggest it's a big job.

For starters, the rear window, the front screen, the wings, the doors....

Look here for some of the model difference,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw_beetle

It's also woth mentioning that VW Kafers were quite rare during the war, depending on sources less than a hundred were built and some of those were 4x4.

It's worth saying that a lot of the "VW Kafers" at military shows are based on more modern vehicles, with the addition of fibreglass conversions.

jh

March 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm #3

The Revell 16th kit is a 50's split, so, it was pretty much like the late ones used in the war I agree with you though, not may were made....thank the English for the bettle,they saved it.

Luke

March 25th, 2012, 10:04 pm #4

hello modeller's,

yesterday, i bought this 1/16 scale model and i'm interested to know the different step to follow to changed it as a WW2 (or before) production?

any idea ?

niko
I'm not a VW expert

1:1 scale VW experts tend to group the Kafers from 1938 to 1953 as being the same model. The VW works was put back into operation by the Occupation Authorities, not long after the war ended to provide a pool of cheap local vehicles for the Occupying Forces. I believe many VWs were built & sent away on trains as 'war reparations' also.

Were the works rejigged & retooled in those immediate post war years to produce a different model ? I don't know given the dire condition the country was in when the war ended.

Also Wikipedia states that much of the essential equipment to manufacture VWs was moved to safety in underground bunkers before the plant was bombed and by 1946 1000 Mk I VWs were being produced a month.

The fact that VW enthusiasts group 1938-53 models together suggests that models after 1953 had more significant changes and differences.

If you register at the forum in the below link, which has a special section for enthusiasts of 1938-53 VWs and if you ask you will probably get definite answers as to the differences between pre war, wartime and post war VWs in the 1938-53 range.

The below 38-53 forum also has many pictures, that may assist

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on March 25th, 2012, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

March 25th, 2012, 11:45 pm #5

hello modeller's,

any idea ?

niko
The basic body is correct,filling the indentations for the chrome trim IS a major headache.
I used wheels,tyres,Notek lamp,and horn from an old Kirin Kubelwagen,reworked taillamps,steering wheel,taglamp,omitted bumpers;used scratched lifting hooks in lieu of.Made wooden floor boards,omitted back seat,used a Verlinden radio back there.Kept hood and engine cover closed.
Raised suspension front and rear to make it a type 82E,off road military type,scratched the gear reduction boxes for the rear axles.Goofed and did not backdate the rear shock setup.
You need "VW Beetle at War",Shiffer Publications to do the job.Lacking Kirin kit to rob,plan on getting a 1/16 Tamiya Kubel to rob bits and pieces.The end result IS WORTH IT!!

March 26th, 2012, 7:09 am #6

hello modeller's,

any idea ?

niko
for your interesting answer!!!

it will be a hard project but nothing is impossible !!!!

regards

niko

March 26th, 2012, 11:18 am #7

Depending on the year of the model depicted in the kit, I'd suggest it's a big job.

For starters, the rear window, the front screen, the wings, the doors....

Look here for some of the model difference,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw_beetle

It's also woth mentioning that VW Kafers were quite rare during the war, depending on sources less than a hundred were built and some of those were 4x4.

It's worth saying that a lot of the "VW Kafers" at military shows are based on more modern vehicles, with the addition of fibreglass conversions.

jh
Apologies, the 1/16th Revell Beetle I am aware of is quite a late model, revised front suspension for example, 1600cc engine, bigger lights. Perhaps that is a Revell Germany product?

I do know that there were updates to the vehicle every year through the 50s and 60s.

Good luck.

jh

March 26th, 2012, 3:42 pm #8

for your interesting answer!!!

it will be a hard project but nothing is impossible !!!!

regards

niko
Hi Nicolas,

Some clues :
http://www.vw38.de/home/index.php?optio ... n#category
http://www.ww2vw.com/index2.php?str=gal ... 9&shwup=38
http://www.vw166.com/kdf/index.html

Perhaps not all genuine.

Hope it helps,
Amitiés maquettistes,
Patrice.

March 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm #9

Hi patrice,
thank's a lot for these very interesting links

merci l'ami

nicolas

March 27th, 2012, 3:37 pm #10

PATRICE,

WOW ! Great lookin' Kafers . I Dig th Split window !! Beautiful Cars.

NIKO ,

This actually looks like a really cool Build !! At th size/scale. most mods & scratch building should be good size.

What style taillights come in the Kit ? Clear ?

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???